1D mark II N

erik_van_bogaert

I want to buy a 1D mark II N body next year (april) for my 500mm f4 IS lens,

now my question is , should i not wait for a replacement or should i buy the

1d mark II N now, i want to use the camera for many years to come, the price

of a 1d mark II n is just in my budget.I am worried about the fact that the 1d

mark II N will not be supported anymore in a few years by canon ?

I think that when Canon announced the original 1D Mk II at PMA 2004 (the N version is only a facelift upgrade), Canon's Chuck Westfall commented that he expected it would not be significantly bettered by a Canon offering for 3-4 years. That time has almost elapsed, so there is a reasonable chance that you may know about a replacement ahead of next April - the next PMA exhibition (February) might be a timeframe for an announcement. You can probably expect that Canon wll continue to support a pro level camera for at least 10 years after it is withdrawn.

I'm not sure if you are talking about April or now, but in either case wait! 2007 should be a good year for us Canon users, so be patient a little longer.

The sensor of the 1DIIn is not as special as one would expect in a $3500 USD camera. Sure it has fps and mega buffer and superman build but the lowly $700 XTi will out resolve it any day given it's slightly longer x-factor and more pixels. I am not suggesting that the XTi will do everything you want but it certainly indicates that the best is yet to come and not very far away. Even if all Canon does is enlarge the XTi sensor to the size of the 1DII sensor and speed up processing to equal the 1DII you end up with a 12 MB 1.3x factor camera and probably for under $3000 USD. I have also just noticed the recent drop in price of the 1DII and you know what that means! Good luck!

You can wait forever to get the latest and the best. There will already be something better coming down the line. Even if you wait, you will want to wait some more until the initial high prices work their way through.

"the fact that the 1d mark II N will not be supported anymore in a few years by canon"

I doubt that will happen for many years.

That camera / lens combo would be dynamite. Sure, there will be better cameras soon but you will be the envy of gearheads everywhere for a looong time.