noise at 1600 with XTI

peter_kovachevich

Aloha! I do allot of night time photography and shoot at iso 800 and 1600 with a

slow shutter often. I just bought a XTI/400D and the amount of noise is

staggering! Im very happy with the resolution in bright light with this camera,

but I'm wondering if this is more noise then usual. If not, basically iso 800

and 1600 in dark settings with slow shutter are almost not usable for me.<div>00IvFJ-33686084.thumb.jpg.5bde63dad8e82eab533580cf42280494.jpg</div>

I agree, the 5D is better at high ISO. Not only because the photo sites are larger, but the final

image requires less rezzing up compared to a 1.6x crop body. Nevertheless, your 1600 ISO

image looks pretty darn good to me--not much noise at all for such a high ISO. I assume

those are stars in the sky and not hot pixels?

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I shoot 100iso in at night quite often... I have no problem with noise. partly because I shoot nighttime in the winter. If you shoot in cold weather you will get the best performance from your cmos... Learn from the astro-photographers who chill their ccd's with dry ice or liquid nitrogen.

I agree with Puppy. The picture looks fine. I shoot at 1600 all the time with what is supposed to be a very noisy camera, the 1D, (as well as the Rebel XT) with lenses wide open. I've gotten great results from it as well. It does require more work in DPP and CS2. On the other hand I dunked it and my 17-40 lens in Hawaii (Big Island volcano rocks + sea water + flip flops = unintended underwater closeup of sea turtles). It came out firing fine no problem.

I too am interested in the XTi since I have a bunch of batteries and chargers for it. The XTi took care of my 3 biggest problems with the XT: 1) small buffer 2) too easy to inadvertently go into timer mode by hitting the button 3) flash exposure compenstion buried in the menu (the SET button can now be programmed for that function).