Best rechargeable batteries

joe_c1

I have used Lenmar 1 hour charger and 2000 AA Ni-HM rechargeable batteries for

the past two years. My batteries does not hold any charges, after recharges of

perhaps 50-60 times in the past two years.

I want to buy new sets of batteries and wanted to know which brand of

batteries are most reliable (so last longer than 2 years) and also to hold

charges once charged.

I assume it is okay to use my charger from reading some of forum to charge

other brand of batteries.

Thank you

Look up the BC-900 charger from LaCrosse Technologies. It has a mode for refreshing old batteries that worked well for my Panasonics. Also checkout The Strobist (strobist.blogspot.com) for in depth info on everything having to do with batteries and portable strobes.

Your best bet is to stick with NiMH batteries. Your only rechargible alternative are NiCad batteries, which have their own problems. The newest AA-sized NiMH batteries have about 2500 mAH capacity, which is over twice as much as an ordinary alkaline AA.

All NiMH batteries have an high self-discharge rate, up to 15% per week. Likewise, all hava a finite life - 2 years or 100 charges is about the median. Consistently using a fast charger will shorten the life, as will a continual trickle charge. The best chargers are (arguably) made by Maha. They will charge single batteries, or sets with different charge levels, and fast and slow rates (selectable).

You can use the same charger (with some exceptions) with different brands of batteries. The so-called 15 minute chargers require specific batteries.

Here's another vote for Maha. I've been using Maha Powerex 2500mah cells for nearly two years. They have worked great -- *no* complaints. I use these cells mostly in speedlights. I also have a couple of different Maha chargers. All have been very reliable.

If your batteries won't hold charges, it could be the batteries, the way that the charger treats them, or both. I would expect a longer lifespan.

As mentioned above, NiMH cells lose charge over time. I top mine off before a shoot.

I use now for five years GP bateries NiMH. I have two sets that i have recharded oround 800 times and theye are still working.

Now i have two sets of 2700mah and theye are fast and longlife. I shoot enire wedding with to sets in one flash.

Joe - I"m pretty pleased with these batteries:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-aa-rechargeable-batteries-2300.php

they aren't expensive and seem to hold a lot of power.

in my reading about batteries, I have read often that the charger that you use with your batteries is just as important as teh batts themselves.

I use this charger or something very close:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/C204W/C204WA.HTM

and I'm very pleased with it. it has a 2.5 quick (hot) charge and a 5 hour cool charge - both modes seem to work.

I usually don't keep batteries that long since I shoot weddings and ride my batteries pretty hard.

search for 'maha 204 charger review' and you will find more about the maha 204 series of chargers.