shooting a bride in the snow- setting? how to meter

s. k. h.

<i>Ever think of learning your craft?</i><p>

Sue's motivation for posting the question seems easy enough to grasp. this is after all a

forum for learning and she seems to be doing just that. <p>

your motivation for logging on for no other reason than to shame her and put her down is

less clear. <p>

this is an open forum which welcomes people of all experience levels. maybe you're be

happier elsewhere.

your motivation for logging on for no other reason than to shame her and put her down is less clear.

Well jocko, I didn't log on for that reason. Shame her? I am not the one doing a 'pro' job not knowing how to meter. 'Put her down'? Not hardly. The post shows the photographer does not know what she is doing. Every indication is there pointing to another part timer that believes owning a camera makes them a photographer.

this is an open forum which welcomes people of all experience levels. maybe you're be happier elsewhere

Could be true. At least I know enough to form a coherent sentence and capitalize the first word in a sentence. I expect that from others, simple intelligence showing in what we do. It appears from your respone that I am overly optimistic.

Most of us judge other photographers by their work, their photographs, not their ability to push the shift button. Anyway, J Robinson, I clicked on your name to view your portfolio here on Photonet, and whatever links you might have provided. I'm sure that everybody would like to see the examples of your great expertise. Even Sue.

• 4 weeks later...

I just joined photo.net and am an amateur/working photographer. Just because someone is

already working in their field...doesn't mean they should know everything for every situation.

I happen to shoot a lot of weddings for family, friends, referrals, etc....who don't want to

spend a lot of money and are willing to have someone like me shoot their wedding, mainly

because they happen to like my work - experience or no.

I'm about to shoot my first wedding in the snow and found many of your suggestions helpful,

except for the rude comments about how photographers that don't have all the tools and

knowledge that shouldn't be working. That is just ridiculous. Good luck Sue.

"The post shows the photographer does not know what she is doing."

J Robinson,

Sue obviously posted her question in an attempt to learn, so she can know what she is doing. What's wrong with that? Not everybody is born with the knowledge how to use meters. Photo.net forum is as good a place to learn it as any other.

Professionalism isn't solely mesured by how much one knows, but by the results one can deliver, and perhaps even more so by how well can one anticipate and solve problems. Sue's post is precisely that. Robert Mapplethorne, while there is a great number of things I do not like about him, was producing widely acclaimed work, and never printed his own photographs. Does that make him an amateur?

I would too love to see your profesional expertise, J Robinson. Pitty you didn't post anything.