Birds - not an equip question (though I use a 20D)

Marvin

I'm looking for someone who might know about shooting birds in Florida.

I'll be driving down to Florida (east coast) in early December. I would like to

stop either in St. Augustine (Alligator Farm Rookery) or Merritt Island NWR

depending where the birding might be best at that time of year. Or - if birding

there is not too good at that time of year which of those two places would be

best to hit on my return drive north at the end of March. During my stay in the

winter I like to go to Delray and shoot at both Green Cay, Loxahatchee, and

Wakadohatchee where the shooting is good.

Marvin, I agree with Kin? You would be well suited to check out the Florida forum on the Naturescapes.net forums. The folks there are very informative and usually very helpful when it comes to photography locations. I am one of them :-D but I live on the west coast and don?t know much of anything about the east coast of Florida. Here are a couple threads that might be helpful for you?

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83164

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82373

I spent last winter down there and Merritt was my favorite, something going on all day. They let you in nice and early and kick you out nice and late. If you don't mind wierd looks you can sleep in the car in the middle of the day while the light is bad. Other sleeping accomodations include the side of the road just on the landward side of the bridge. The town nearby is charming with great food. If you get tired of the refuge (never) you can go on to the Canaveral Nat'l Seashore, it is very close and unfortunately costly, but worth it to see gannets diving into the ocean. Heard great things about the rookery as well but never got there. Another place I loved was Sanibel Island and Ding Darling Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. The driving loop is best, and often closed so check schedule. They let you in late & kick you out early, and the no-see-ums are very itchy close to the water, bring a scarf & repellent. Early in the morning the beach is excellent for shorebirds accustomed to people, great light, shells, and shell collector-watching. Staying on the island is astronomically expensive, even for camping and there's a toll to cross the bridge so you pay just to enter. I got by car-camping in the guest parking lots of beach condos since i was in after dark and out before dawn anyway. You must pay for parking everywhere on the island except shopping. Still would recommend it. Skipping the Everglades is a great loss, Anhinga Trail has the best photo ops, maybe in the state, especially for wood storks and, you guessed it, anhingas. Big Cypress has even better landscapes and fewer, but very special, wildlife opportunities. e-mail me with any questions, and good luck!

Brevard County is east of Orlando, the county between Orlando and the Atlantic. Go to this

link and then to the first two links. They are the Merritt Island Nation Wildlife Refuge and

the Canaveral National Seashore.

http://www.nbbd.com/ecotourism/

Marvin,

The above is my post of a few days ago to the Nature Forum. This gives you links to the

two Merritt Island sites. As an added bonus for your vacation, both of these areas are just

a stones-throw north of the Kennedy Space Center.

Roger