Most effective shade for 35 'cron ASPH

simonpg

For those who are very frequent users of the 35mm Summicron-M ASPH; what is the

most effective shade you have used?

I wonder if the VC 39mm screw in hood is superior to the standard Leica clip-on

rectangular hood. The VC hood seems to extend further - but wider.

Any views on this? Thanks.

Simon, I admit that I have only used the rectangular hood that came with it on that lens, but I like it a lot. People complain about losing the cap. Its not been a problem for me. Most people I've read say that a rectangular hood is best. I can't say. Plus, a metal screw in hood has a better liklihood of damaging the lens threads if you hit something. The plastic rectanglular is fairly rigid, but I assume it would first crack on impact and its clip on and not screw in so probably safer. I also like the way it looks. Other options would probably be fine, but I imagine Leica has some reasoning for the one it comes with. That's all I can say.

Draw a circle representing the cross section of the cone of light entering the lens and compute its area. Then inscribe inside the circle a rectangle with the aspect ratio of the camera's format. Compute the area of the inscribed rectangle, then compare the area of the format to the area of those parts of the circle outside the format. You will find that the areas outside the format represent approximately forty percent of the total light entering the lens, bouncing around inside the lens, performing no useful work, and contributing to the flare and reduced contrast. Nuf sed!