Yashica 635 - How to load the take-up spool

samples1

Just got a Yashica 635, and can't manage to get the take-up spool to load. I have looked at the online

manuals, and no matter what I do, the winding knob that pulls out to allow loading doesn't pull out far

enough to allow the take-up roll to clear the stud. Is there some trick to this? What am I missing? I have

searched on this forum for an answer and have not found one that fits my situation. Please help.

Thank-you!

Did you already have a look if the film chamber is clean around the take up spool? I also assume you have taken out the parts that are part of the 35mm film option?

<br><br>

You just want to load the spool intot he camera, right? Sometimes the knob that needs to pull out does indeed not pull out enough but most of the time when you pull it out, put the 120-film spool on top of the pin on the oposite side, push a little on the "knob-side" it will slip in.

Thanks very much, Mischa. The camera is clean and there are no optional 35mm part inside.

Yes. I only want to load the take-up spool. I have tried pushing a bit on the knob as you say,

but it seems I would have to push very hard indeed because the pin only goes so far and no

more. I wonder if travel of the pin is adjustable, because on the outside, the knob has two

small holes that might be for a special wrench such as used for watches, and on the inside,

the pin is slotted?which might accomodate a screw driver blade. Otherwise, the camera looks

and feels good, and the shutter sounds accurate. Dying to try it.

Thanks again, Minh, but I tried lubrication and it is still the same. It does not appear to be a

matter of friction. I seem to have a very strong spring and something limiting the travel of

the knob, or a pin that is too long or mis-adjusted, or perhaps an inapropriate replacement

part. I have a colleague that has a 635. I will get a look at hers when she's between rolls and

see if there's some obvious difference. Otherwise, I'll have to send it for repair-which would

make this "inexpensive entry into medium format" not so inexpensive.

Very best regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Closure to this question finally came in the form of services speedily and professionally

rendered by Mr. Mark Hama. The 35mm-only knob was definitely in need of adjusting. Now

loading film is a snap and the camera is good for another 20 years. I'm happily clicking-away

despite the slightly awkward transition from SLR to TLR.

Best regards,