.85 or 1.25 magnifier

carl_amick1

Ron, I just tried it indoors this evening under an electric light: I cannot detect any significant dimming. I didn't poke my eye, but guess some people might if trying to see the edge of the viewfinder close-to.

I find that for 24 to 35mm lenses the .58 is a very good option, it's better with the magnifier from 50mm upwards. AC

Alan,

Under good light it's not a problem, but in the dim light, trying to focus a 90mm, I found that it was a little bit dimmer.

I wear glasses and have to put the finder right upto my spectacle lens. If I took my specs off for a second and pulled the camera to my eye ... ouch :-)

OK Ron, Well it's not bright in my living room (approx. 20-40 Lux on my Gossen) and the viewfinder was ok for me; in a darker room or outdoors at night I s'pose it could be noticeable. Perceptions differ: different folk - in differing conditions .... etc.

Carl: seems like the best option is try one in your preferred working situation(s) if possible.

I broadly agree on the glasses issue - and it gets worse with age ;-) AC

I have both a 0.72 and a 0.85 mag M and a 1.25 magnifier. The 0.85 M is fantastic for lenses >=50mm but the 0.72 mag cam with the magnifier gives you about the same; I haven't noticed any VF dimming with it. Unless you also shoot a lot of wide angle, my advice would be to get the 0.85 mag cam <i>and</i> and the magnifier because that gives you a 1.0 mag! :-)

I use .85 and .58 bodies. .85 for 50 and longer. I do have the 1.25 magnifier; its a little twiddly, but OK. I use it on a .85 when I use my 135 Tele-Elmar; not very often, but it helps. If you like the 50 focal length or think that you might want longer lenses, I suggest that you check out the .85 camera body.

I bought a 0.58 as I wear specs and uses 35mm and 28mm lenses a lot, with the combination of specs and wide angles this 0.58 rangefinder is cleraly much easier to use than the standard (0.72, I think). Besides the full frame is approximately 24mm!

Using a 90mm (probably the lux 75mm as well) is feasible but tricky.