DIY repair of Leicaflex Standard

Re problem with my LFS

I'm only seeing one curtain. When the shutter is cocked, I can see through to the pressure plate. When it's tripped, curtain covers pressure plate.

Took it to Kindermann and they suggested not to bother repairing it - it's not a big deal but requires several hours of labor and since you can buy these for a few hunder bucks at KEH....

I shoot my M7 so this 'flex is basically disposable at this point (based on what Kindermann says)

Problem is, I am kid of attached to it.

CG

I'd take Kindermann's advice. The biggest problem you'll face is re-assembly and

adjusting curtain tension accurately. You could easily spend as much or more than the

camera's worth buying the tools needed to adjust things accurately. My general feeling

about these old beauties is that if the shutter's working more or less OK I'l attempt a

repair, otherwise it's a donor for other bodies.

DAG will do an overhaul on a Leicaflex Standard for about $150 - check with him on price if you are interested.

The argument that repairs aren't sensible because one can buy a used camera for the cost of competent repairs strikes me as sophistry.

If you have the your camera competently serviced it will be in near-new functional condition with a high probability of working reliably for years (it is a Leicaflex).

Should you purchase a used camera instead of repairing your existing one, you really don't know its internal condition; it is unlikely to have been serviced in recent years (if ever). It is a leap of faith to imagine that such used camera will offer the long term reliability of a CLA'd Leicaflex.

Hi Wendell,

I definitely agree that it's better to work with what you've got, all else being equal. In this case, Kindermann has indicated that it would be much cheaper to buy a used 'flex AND pay for a full CLA rather than repair this one. Gerry seems to think he is looking at about 8 to 10 hours of labor on this baby!

BTW Gerry of Kindermann is the Canadian equivalent of DAG or Sherry in the US. He is a good man. Did some work on my old M 90 Elmarit - in the end there was no charge!

Cheers.

CG