have decided to get into digital photography and retouching with what i have at

the moment - so will be manually callibrating my powerbook monitor. can someone

reccommend what set-up i should have while callibrating.. as in: lighting

around me, comp screen with wall behind it or window behind it. what angle the

screen should be roughly set at etc? the same questions for while working on

photoshop - as i know too much light or too little light will affect

that "WYSIWYG". So what is the proper set-up for callibration and actually

working on photoshop ... baring in mind my screen will slant at different

angles each time i open my powerbook. thank you.

You can calibrate your laptop with any system suitable for calibrating an LCD (no suction cups, for example). You will be marginally successful in this endeavor. As you not, the screen will be at different angles at various times, and used in many environments. The viewing angle is particularly significant since the appearance varies dramatically with that angle. Make every effort to look into the screen at right angles to the surface, and you may get by. However, the edges will not be "in calibration" unless you shift your position.

You can get an highly effective LCD for a lot less than the Apple Cinema. A Viewsonics VP model with 19" screen costs less than $400, and calibrates well. Nearly anything is better than a laptop.

I calibrate both my ACD 23" and my PowerBook 15" screens the same way.

The problem with the laptop is that eye position, screen dimming, etc, throw off the

calibration much more quickly. It's no big problem, you just need to calibrate it more

often, and always before a critical image processing session. Desktop displays are MUCH

better suited to critical work, no matter what you do.

My calibration tool is the Gretag-Macbeth Eye One Display 2. I prefer a monitor target of

gamma 1.8 and white point 5500K.

Once the monitor is calibrated, avoid adjusting brightness as it will shift the calibration.

(Hard to avoid on a laptop) and always let the monitor warm up fully for a half hour or so

before you calibrate it.

Once your monitor is calibrated, configure Photoshop's Color Settings for a fully color

managed workflow (I use the North American Prepress 2 preset).

Godfrey

thank you for all the comments - but if someone can tell me what is the proper set-up of workstation while callibrating and working on photoshop. i know there are specifics where a monitor hood will eventually help. the lighting in the room.. a desk light or not? windows behind me or not etc? What is a proper set-up re lighting while callibrating and working that i can always stick to?