Canon Digital XTi with 24-70/2.8L

aleth_phos

I have one for my XT. Works wonderfully, except that the ergonomics can be a bit awkward. I think the 17-40 f4 is a better fit in this respect (I have both.)

"...can be used with a FF body if I can ever afford it."

You can. Pick up a used film EOS body. Get an EOS A2 for about $100, or a Elan something for about $60. That wide-end on the 17-40 on the film body is spectacular.

The more natural choice for the XTi would be the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS instead. A great lens!

> The lens can be used with a FF body if I can ever afford it.

But you don't have a FF body now. Why should it be more logic to buy a lens for a body you *might* (or not) buy in some distant future than for a body that you are about to buy and use just now?

The 24-70/2.8 is an excellent lens, but not necessarily on a XTi since 24 mm is not wide enough for a standard zoom on a APS-size camera. And it doesn't have IS, which works perfectly in the EF-S 17-55 and gives you about 3 stops more light. And if you ever go FF, you can sell it most certainly at a very good price.

Unless you buy an EF-S lens used, when it comes time to sell it (when you move to a full frame camera), you will undoubtedly lose money in the process, because it's used. I think you first need to determine what focal lengths you need (the 24-70 will feel like a 38.4-112 on an XTi, as compared to a full frame camera, whereas the 17-55 will feel like a 27.2-88). Then, determine whether or not the IS would be beneficial. It's pointless to take the IS into consideration, if you really want the added 56-70mm focal length that you'll have with the other lens.

>> Is there any problem with getting an XTi and a 24-70/2.8L?

The only problem that may occur is a balance problem. The XTi is small and light while the 24-70/2.8 is large and heavy. On my 1D I prefer heavy lenses and I sold quite a few lenses for this reason alone. I suspect that if I had an XTi I'd favor smaller and lighter lenses.

My suggestion for you is to try this combo in a shop and see if it fits you.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Hi,

Unless you are looking for a really compact kit, for better balance you could just add the battery grip to the XTi. This will also give double the power. I use the 24-70 extensively on a 30D, 10D and EOS3s, all of which have their respective battery grips or power boosters. I use the secondary, vertical orientation controls of the various grips alot, too.

The 24-70 is a moderately large lens, especially with the very large lens hood installed (use the lens and you'll see why the hood needs to be so large), but I wouldn't call it overly heavy. It's a quite useful focal length range on either full frame or crop sensor cameras (effectively 32-112mm on 1.6X). And, this is a range that doesn't really require I.S. in most circumstances.

Both the current 24-70/2.8L and it's 28-70/2.8L predecessor have very good reputations among pros who use them alot and work them hard. I can't speak for the 28-70, but the 24-70 is quite close focusing, too, into near macro range.