died. The power light that typically glows green or red was now a shade of

yellow. The circuits are completly blown. The flash is about 7 months old and

has been used with both power packs and standard disposable batteries. I can't

say that it's 100% due to these new duracell batteries, but I will never try

them again. I plan on contacted Duracell and will post their response when

received.

Anybody else every have this problem?

Rob

<p>Duracell claims on their Web site these batteries provide higher voltage than the 1.5V of standard alkalines, but they don't seem to state what the actual voltage is. The 580EX is designed to work with lithium batteries (among other types), which also have a higher voltage, of up to about 1.7-1.8V, so we know the 580EX is OK with at least that much voltage. But without information on the voltage of Duracell Power Pix batteries, I don't know what voltage these batteries provide. Likewise, the 580EX is OK with higher current than standard alkalines provide (NiCd and NiMH are both OK with it, and both provide higher current, as do external battery packs), but again, we know nothing of the current output of these new batteries.</p>

<p>Duracell claims that these batteries should not harm devices which can be run on standard alkalines. Some manufacturers of Li batteries specifically warrant that they will repair or replace any device damaged by them to back up their claim that the batteries will work just fine in any device that uses standard alkalines; I don't see such a claim on Duracell's Power Pix pages, but you should look at the packaging to see if there's a warranty on there.</p>

<p>It will be interesting to hear Duracell's response. I'm sorry to hear about your flash.</p>

Duracell technical documents show the nominal voltage as 1.5V:

http://www.duracell.com/oem/Pdf/new/ZR6_1500_OS.pdf

Voltmeter tests indicate the fresh voltage is just around 1.73V.

Either way, this minor voltage difference did not cause your blowout. 3v might, 12v would but .2v difference just can't do it...unless the voltage regulator was defective from the beginning.

Sorry about your flash. Sounds like it is still under warranty.

<p>Mike, the measurement you gave is for how much total power the battery can hold; it does not indicate voltage or current provided by the battery. I believe you're talking about NiMH batteries, so this is at a lower voltage but higher current than a standard alkaline.</p>

<p>Aaron, thanks for the info. As you state, those voltages are not going to cause a problem; Li batteries offer similar voltage and the 580EX is designed to run off them. So it sounds like the problem is with the flash unit, not with the batteries.</p>