? M8 and Compactness

Hi,

two or three quick questions for those of you who are buying an M8:

1. Does it matter to you whether you can still flat-pack it and

slip it into a jacket pocket or not? (as a go-everywhere camera)

2. If so, what lens are you going to use in this configuration,

now that the collapsible 50s are out of the question?

(seems like the Summicron-C would be a good candidate, but what

about the accuracy of the 35mm frame lines in the M8?)

Thanks,

Ulf

I don't know Ulf. I've never considered the M Leica to be much of a 'pocket camera'. The M8 is a bit thicker so it's less of a pocket camera. I think it works better on the shoulder with a jacket over it, if you're trying for a low profile. At worse somebody'll think you're packing heat (carrying a gun). The new 28mm f2.8 is very small but certainly no pancake or collapsible.

BTW, maybe slightly off-topic, but it is no problem to use the current collapsible Elmar-M 2,8/50 on the M8 and to retract it fully into the camera body. At least the M8 that I had in my hands survived this and the Leica representatives at the demo stand in Leverkusen (during the DAV-Alpintag) where I was confirmed that and allowed me to do it. There were rumors it would not work.

Ulrik

I'd say that the new 28/2.8 is smaller than a collapsed Summicron 50/2.0.

I'm sure you can even use an Elmar, you just would need a small ring of tape to keep from collapsing it too deeply.

But even a Barnack screwmount camera is really only a "pocket" camera in a great coat. It's really too big for any normal suit jacket pocket.

Admittedly this flat pack concept may be pushing the M too far... and yes, there's the weight as well. It's just that occasionally I like packing just a flat brick.

Ulrik: interesting that you could collapse the Elmar-M alright, the manual says "Lenses with retractable tubes can only be used with their tubes extended, i.e. their tubes must never be retracted into the Leica M8". They then quote the MEM 90 as the only example for an exception from this rule.

Maybe there were some variations in the mounts of the Elmar-M 50 over the years that prevented them from adding it as another exception?

An M is a pocket camera in as much as you don't need to carry a bag for it.

The M body will fit in a shirt breast pocket, or in a suit jacket pocket, or even in a trouser

pocket (packing real heat !). The same is true for many of the lenses- 90mm Elmarit M in

a shirt pocket, no problem.

With lens fitted it takes an anorak pocket to accomodate it, that's how I travel.

Try it and prove it to yourself.

Depends on how big you are. There's no way I can fit an M body in any of my shirt pockets & though 1 may fit in a regular suit jacket or pants pocket (if I'm wearing cargo pants or something), the weight alone would make it very awkward & uncomfortable to walk around with.

-------------

"The M body will fit in a shirt breast pocket, or in a suit jacket pocket, or even in a trouser pocket (packing real heat !). The same is true for many of the lenses- 90mm Elmarit M in a shirt pocket, no problem."

An M7 with collapsed Red Scale Elmar fits into the pocket of a 15.5" shirt. For an M8 with its extra 3mm I'd go for 16" though. It also fits into the jacket size of most suits of a matching size.

What I'd really like is the new Anastigmat for the '0' replica, collapsible into any of the current Ms...

"An M is a pocket camera in as much as you don't need to carry a bag for it.

The M body will fit in a shirt breast pocket, or in a suit jacket pocket, or even in a trouser pocket (packing real heat !). The same is true for many of the lenses- 90mm Elmarit M in a shirt pocket, no problem."

Don't be too disappointed if you don't make the cover of GQ :-)

C'mon ... what do you think Spiderman is carrying in his drawers ? A Canon 1Ds ??

Guys, that's an M7 he's packing, 'cos he needs auto-exposure in the heat of the moment.

:-)

And here's a little known fact - the only camera Jack Nicholson will allow to take a candid

portrait of him is a Leica M. And he's a Joker !

"The XA, the Minolta TC-1, the Natura. Those are pocket cameras.

And then there's the Minox."

... but these are all compromises.

I owned an XA, and the lens isn't good enough.

I still own a Rollei 35S, but there's no rangefinder ..... etc, etc.

The Leica M's have no compromises, limited only by 35mm film, AND their portablity is a

major convenience feature.

I've had many shirts made with extra large pockets to accomodate my M's with winder and

90mm lenses with metal hoods fitted. They are not the height of fashion I admit, but very

practical for the modern man on the move. Instead of changing film, they allow me to just

reach for another body and keep shooting.

But the M, despite being a smaller camera in size than an SLR, is nowhere near a pocket

camera. Unless, of course, one has "had many shirts made with extra large pockets to

accomodate my M's with winder and 90mm lenses with metal hoods fitted."

O course, one would be forced to admit that "They are not the height of fashion I admit,

but very practical for the modern man on the move." Additionally one could argue that

given enough material and a team of expert tailors, any camera could become a pocket

camera. I can just imagine trying to explain to the nice people on the street that no, I'm

not happy to see them, it's just my 300mm lens on my SLR camera that I had fitted into an

extra front pocket on my trousers!

You'll see on my web site that I've been marketing the 3 and 4 pocket varieties in S/M/L &

XXL for a while.

There a steady demand for the Sniper 3 and the 4 pocket Maxus designs. Khaki is the

most popular colour, but I've had requests for many colours. Purple has recently become

quite popular.