Photo Expo - NYC

mitchfalk

Went to the Expo today, typical trade show - except for the guys from

Speedotron, Alien bees/White Lightning, Larson, Quantum and believe it or not -

Nikon ! All of the above were exremely helpfull, friendly and knowledgeable.

Mostly everyone else were "fishing" for the suppositly "high end" buyers. Well I

saw a few H/E buyers, you know the ones with the just got out of bed haircuts

and holes from the factory in their jeans. Us down in the trenches

(wedding/event) photographers were mostly ignored, except by some who remembered

where they came from and who their sales base are !

I found it to be just the opposite. EVERYONE at the booths were friendly. I was especially interested in inkjet papers and most either gave me samples (to print on) on the spot or will send me them, when I requested them. I played with the latest P&S's from Canon (for my wife at Christmas), the M8 (one day to replace my sold-last-year M6) and the Nikon D200 to see if the finder was really better than my D70's (it is). Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Oh, those Nikon folks were pretty rude about closing up. I was at their counter before 4, and by 4:05 they were being completely rude about closing up.

So, I made my way over to Fuji to check out the S5 prints, and they were quite nice.

*After* that, probably around 4:45, I went back to the Canon counter, where they were more than helpful. In fact, I tried to fit in only a quick question (I didn't want to hold anyone up), and a representative gave me a catalogue, looked things up for me, and didn't rush me at all. It was evident I wasn't go to be buying anything by that time (wasn't sporting the H/E look, either!), but they were still very nice.

I *am* the kind of consumer who will keep track of those kinds of things and whenever possible, buy accordingly. Nikon will seriously need to blow Canon out of the water in order for me to buy from them.