Location" in Arlington,NY). Told me that film is coming back "big time" in the

local wedding market. From what he told me the "ten hours of computer tweaking

time", per wedding, is the deal breaker for most. The lab never got rid of it's

KODAK pro system. And from what he tells me other labs are scrambling to buy

these back, to meet demand. Could logic, good sense, ease of use and a better

medium win in the end?

Bad news: Most of the old school shooters at both ends of the price spectrum,

are running at 1/3rd of their sales compared to pre 2004. The same marketing

techniques that drove things alone for decades, have now failed. These folks are

only seeing 33c of every $1 they did 3 years ago! You don't need an economics

degree from Yale (like our esteemed president holds), to see that the "ranks"

will thin.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a class on studio lighting last night. Consisted of a dozen soccer moms, a male doctor, and maybe two other advanced photogs that had assisted doing weddings.

Every soccer mom in the place had taken another local photogs series of classes and were trying to break into portraits. Good news (for me) most didn't seem to have a clue as to how to use their camera and don't think they ever will. Some were still shooting in program mode. Bad news... a third already had laid down a chunk of change for a pair of studio lights.

Think the upper crust of Myrtle Beach will be saturated with family portraits.

Don't think it changes the formula. The best business sense coupled with the best quality will always win IMHO.

While it's good for you and the lab you use, it's hardly indicative of the inevitable. To say digital will not BE the future, is to be blind. I love film too, but the longer you hold off using digital, the harder the transition will be.

Bogdan

"Could logic, good sense, ease of use and a better medium win in the end?"

<p>

Your statement is just an opinioin, and there is no evidence that either small-format film

or digital is outright superior, or as you say, "a better medium." I shot on 35mm for 10

years, and I now prefer digital because I enjoy the extra control that the workflow gives me

as opposed to trusting a lab tech to print my film correctly and not scratch my one copy. I

also prefer digital because I can make unlimited backups with no degradation in quality.

Not to metion what I believe to be digital's increased ease of use, being that you can make

WB

and ISO changes on the fly. I like my digital work far better than my film work because I

the smooth digital aesthetic. I wouldn't shoot a wedding with film today, no way. But,

that's just my opinion, and what works for me. And fyi, I consider myself to exibit good

logic skills as well as good sense - and so does my transcript which shows I earned my

Philosophy degree, including logic courses, with honors.

"Every soccer mom in the place had taken another local photogs series of classes and were

trying to break into portraits. Good news (for me) most didn't seem to have a clue as to

how to use their camera and don't think they ever will. Some were still shooting in

program mode. Bad news... a third already had laid down a chunk of change for a pair of

studio lights."

What is it with the soccer moms and portraits lately? Was there an article in Soccer Mom

Magazine or something? I just worked with an assistant for the first time that pretty much

the whole time, she drilled me for info on portrait shooting. She didn't really know how to

use her camera and after a few minutes I realized that all she wanted was info and had no

interest in shooting weddings.

I'm just passing along actual tales from the lab(crypt?). Not trolling. The lab is the place to feel the industry's pulse.

Tom, the lab manager claims that some of the "new shooters" are trying to shoot JPEGS, and are making a real mess of a few people's weddings.

Most digital shooters do an excellant job of shooting RAW, and using calibrated monitors. So the lab's job is fairly easy. It does seem according to him that the younger shooters have an easier time of learning digital. And many of the old school folks, are the "film return-ees".

So perhaps in a few years, film, and the old school shooters will perish from the wedding scene?

Is the fall off of sales, and the return of film, happening in other places?

Not trying to flaunt my degree here, nor would I flaunt a BA in Philosophy - just wanted to

say that I have lots of experience in deducing faulty logic and I am confident that mine is

not so. I know full well that a degree does not equal intelligence, as your example shows

all too well!

<P> Steve, in regards to your last post, I work at a lab 2 days a week just for a change of

pace and to socialize, and yes, we have some former film shooters who went digital and

expect to be able to shoot jpegs and have our lab correct them just the same as with

35mm negs. Some of them never understand that you just can't do that - there's not

enough info there. They don't want to shoot RAW because they think it's too much work. I

have seen some wedding disasters! The best way I've found to get across the exposure

latitiude of jpegs to film shooters is to compare it to slide film. If digital was only jpeg, I

wouldn't like it at all - however, I shoot RAW and love it.

Whatever floats your boat! If you like film and have a decent lab nearby it gives you an option. If you prefer shooting digital and/or making your own prints then that's another option. Whether or not you can continue to make a living in the wedding photography business is a whole other question. Nobody ever said that life was going to be easy.

bogdan trust me you don't want to start questioning site policy. it's a private site, they can do whatever they want. take it with a smile or walk away seems to be the best approach, otherwise you start down an ugly path. <p>

I'll probably be banned again for posting that :( <p>

anyway..... <p>

steve is just pushing his opinion and that of one guy at one lab in suburban upstate nyc. nothing to get bent out of shape about. <p>

his statement.... <p>

<i>Could logic, good sense, ease of use and a better medium win in the end?</i><p>

that has people up in arms isn't really so terrible.<p>

"logic", like "fact" and "truth" are terms that are clearly used in place of "opinion" as a matter of course here. "good sense" is already a subjective as is "ease of use and a better medium".<p>

Where I work there is no lab. I have to send film to the US, so ease of use tips heavily toward digital for me. <p>

It's easy enough to understand the vitriol of many of the self styled "old school" photographers. many had a good thing going for years and that good thing is going away. digital cameras are a part of it and an easy target. as steve says, the "ranks with thin", nothing wrong with that. <p>

but for those who shoot film exclusively and have a handle on how to run a successful business you rarely see the digi-hating. Look at the moderator of this forum. all film, seemingly very successful and I can't recall any silly anti-digi stuff from her. <p>

most photographers that seem bitter generally have something to be bitter about, but if all that negative energy were channeled into something more productive one can only imagine......<p>

We shoot film and agree with Al Kaplan luckily we have a good lab

nearby and it's inexpensive.If it were otherwise we would switch to digital to have more control over the color.

Digital has cool options in that you can create personal

artistic visions while you are taking the shot that you can enhance

later digitally to create something special that reflects your individual style. Photographers like Beckstead and Gino are great at this IMO. We prefer film because everyone else is digital(or so it seems)here in San Francisco as Nadine mentioned so it makes us a bit different than 90% of the other photographers here which

certain clients seem to be looking for.

Some of the most demanded photographers in California like Todd Rafalovich, Alisha&Brook Todd, Jose Villa, Joe Buissink are film

and they seem to be quite popular here still.

IMO the style and personality are more relevant than the medium

used so it's not an important consideration.

Still shooting film --for the most part. We shoot digital only when someone pays for that "ten hours of computer tweaking time", per wedding. I can't believe shooters simply include that "computer time" in the package. Our film weddings are generally $800-1000 less > than digital. Unless the clients just wants RAW files ~ burned to a DVD. It is getting difficult to find a optical printing lab...the scanned stuff just isn't quality enough for my client base.

Interesting, I am returning to wedding/social/portrait shooting after a long time away from it. My take (for what it's worth) is shooting formals in 6x7 MF, ceremony shots in 35mm film, and candids with digital, makes the most sense to me, I have the quality where it's needed, and the ease of shooting where it's less critical.

erie

The application of logic is interesting in what is primarily an emotionally driven product.

Each of us has our own take on this. The "smooth digital aesthetic" that Jake likes is what I

despise about the medium. But since most people like this aspect, it's not a bad thing for

business.

My "faulty" logic is that the two can co-exist. I could care less that proofs from film are

digitally printed rather than optically done ... as long as the content is there for evaluation.

I then scan my own selects for the album and display prints. NO ONE can scan my negs the

way I want them ... just like no one could make my darkroom silver prints the way I wanted

them. It's part of the creative process IMO, and a digital evolution of post processing when

using film.

I still use film because I think and feel it looks better than digital when printed. My quest is

to replace optical prints with digital ones that retain the things I like about film. I've found

that the scan is the biggestest factor in that process. Printers are getting better, and better

papers are being produced to also aid in my quest.

He used to be before p.net introduced the 'prolific poster' thing and downgraded a whole bunch of 'heros'. It is rather strange how some people remained heros though when a few who I could name (I'm not talking about Steve) should have been long banned for their obnoxious attitude nevermind downgraded!

I get the 949 scanner tomorrow Nadine. The reseller is the same that sold me my Imacon

digital backs, and they were setting up the new scanner and testing it completely before

bringing it to my studio.

I'm bummed that I couldn't shoot the 503CW last weekend because my D-40 flash failed in

my pre-wedding gear check. The second one also failed. But it's not the camera(s) or lens

sync. I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem. Grrrr.