Yashika D: Any Information?

There were many variations of the Yashica D.

Early models had 3-element Yashikor lenses, avoid them.

Later models had the better 4-element Yashinon lens.

The very last and most desirable models had an F2.8 viewing lens.

The ones with the 4-element lens will give identical results to the best Yashicamat but with the slower-operating wind on knob instead of the faster crank.

Not to start a squabble, but $75.00 seems a good deal for a mint Yashica D regardless of which lens is fitted....IMHO

I think the 4-element Yashinon or Luxamar is a sharper, crisper lens, that will preform better in low light conditions as well, but don't discount the Yashikor's ability to take pleasing images. There are many who feel this lens is better for certain applications, and still others who swear they see little difference between the triplet and the 4-element Yashica offerings. We are talking about very old camera's here, one man's poison...

Not counting eBay (where anything can -and does- happen price wise) I'd think a really nice Yashica D with case and caps should be worth $100-$125 any day of the week, but only between private sellers. Expect more from a retail camera shop. If the glass is clean, the speeds are on and the shutter sounds lively, I don't see a gamble at $75.00.

• 4 months later...
I guess I'm one up on you. Believe it or not, I bought my 'D' at a yard sale for $2.00. Works great. The case is a little worn but the camera takes excellent pictures. I'm looking for close-up and/or wide angle lenses as well as a lens hood. It is an excellent camera for the money, $2 or $75. Thanks.