R5 shutter/film wind stiffness

dshombert

I bought an R5 recently, my first Leica. Everything seems to work fine, but I

notice that the shutter and film advance lever seem a little stiffer (harder

to operate) than on other cameras I've used. The shutter is stiff enough that

I wonder if it's affecting hand-held use at 1/60. Is this normal for an R5?

And if it needs CLA, where's a good place to send it for that? Thanks.

Dave Shombert

hi dave,

i have experienced the same with one R4 that i had about a year ago. the shutter was stiffer than everything else i used before. i found that it did not affect the ability to shoot 1/60th or even 1/30th handheld as there is just a little bit of time between depressing the shutter and the picture actually being taken. i would not worry about that too much. instead of cla'ing that r4 that i had i traded it for an almost new r8. one of the best deals i ever made. i just love that camera. i'd suppose that for the price on a cla for the r5 plus the money you'd gett selling the r5 you will get a used r8.

cheers, maik

I don't notice anything unusual about the film advance lever on my R5 or R6. The shutter buttons seem to offer a comfortable amount of resistance--not excessive. There can be a slight shutter lag, and there was, on my R6, until DAG fixed it. I don't agree with the poster who said to trade it for an R8. If you are otherwise happy with the R5, you only need to get it fixed, if you think there's a problem. If you want an R8, that would be the reason to get an R8.

Don's email: dagcam@chorus.net

Hello Dave,

Can you clarify what you mean by shutter is stiff? The shutter release button or the charging/cocking of the shutter? With film or dry firing?

If the problem occurs with film; the advance can be affected by resistance from the film that is connected to a "stiff" rewind shaft. Simply apply a small dab of lithium grease to the rewind shaft and work it in, you should feel a difference. The R5's have enough age on them to have congealed or dried lubricants.

If you mean the release button, then you should send it to DAG. The shutter release design has a longer than usual delay but doesn't have a labored touch. It makes contact with an electronic switch that triggers a magnetic coil. (Light touch is the result)

Don serviced my R5 recently and currently has one of my SL2's, he's excellent! Take care, Gus<div>00IZdh-33174584.jpg.dbb05ca4076481c74a47e3588a5e36e3.jpg</div>