newborn abd toddler portraits

I have a question. I was asked to take some b&w portraits of a co-workers

newborn as well as there toddler. i am going to use a black felt back drop,

but i was wondering how would i set up to photograph there newborn and what

would i use to place the baby on? I would like to know what professional

baby / child photographers use to place the baby on to take photos that myself

and their parents feel comfortable that their baby will not be in any danger.

thanks

Hi Christopher, a inexpensive tool use by many is a bean bag chair, cover with white or beige for high key or use black cloth or black felt for low key, keep mom or dad handy close by baby as a spotter in case of wiggles or falls. Good luck! regards Dirk D. Lightdances Photography<div>00IV0d-33055384.thumb.JPG.a3ac11d53b893d934924eca5f8ac071d.JPG</div>

Christopher,

I usually place newborns on the ground on a black polar-fleece fabric. If the floor is wood or tiled I place a blanket underneath to make it softer. I sometimes use the bed but as I like to take shots right over the baby I find the hard floor works better for me to get a good footing. To get side shots I lay on the ground beside the baby or you can place the baby on a table. Newborns don't (usually) roll so it's prety safe however I ALWAYS have the parent stand by the table just in case.

My favourite shots are when one parent holds the black sheet up and the other parent (usually the dad) holds the newborn with their hands straight up so all you see is two arms and the baby cradled in the hands. Their are variations to this (like the dad's arm coming from the side with the baby lying tummy down on his arm) but make sure these are done very close to the ground with pillows beneath. I have never had a baby fall but it makes everyone feel better knowing that if it did there are pillows beneath.

I also photograph newborns against the skin of a parent (arms/sholders) or have the parent draped in the black fabric.

I don't have a lot of newborn shots on my website (I really need to update it) however the ones I have may give you a feeling for what I'm saying. Check out the "siblings/friends" page for ideas on how to photograph the newborn with its sibling..... www.photosbyvickyleon.com

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!! I'm hoping you're not in Melbourne Australia. I'd hate you to get really good at this and all my clients come to you. LOL!! :)

Vicky :)

I use a dog bed. It's an cushy oval just about the exact size of a baby, it's soft, and it's got a 4 inch wall all around it, so the baby really has to work to get out of it. The only time I use it is with babies that can't sit up yet, and these babies generally can't get out of it no matter how hard they try. I put a pillow underneath it at the back for shots of babies on their backs, and if I'm getting tummy shots I put the pillow underneath in the front. I drape the backdrop down, then up and over the bed to create the scen, it works great, although I don't particularly love the effect of a baby sunken down into an oval shaped pocket in the backdrop, there's not a lot else you can do with babies that can't sit up or hold their head up. I just did a 3 month old last night with the dog bed, here is one of the shots:

http://buckportraitstudio.smugmug.com/gallery/1385090/1/103842323

Most new parents these days own what's called a boppy.... it's a U shaped pillow. I've borrowed this for my shoots on many ocassions. Draped with a black or white fabric and it works well.

I now have a baby poser, made of foam that I purchased from B&H. It's shaped to hold babies up while sitting, or on their bellies facing upwards. I've used it once and felt it was a bit awkward to work with. Mom has to be close by... because they start to slide and roll.

Hi Chris -

I use the beanbag as mentioned above. I also have used a large basket with a fur blanket inside it. The babies love it and are very comfortable. I also have just used their portable carseats with a blanket over it. Take a look at my "Beautiful Babies" galllery for some more ideas. Best of luck...

I use their baby seat that parents carry them around in, but cover it with white fake fur that looks like a polar bear. You can use the color of your choice. This goes on top of a sheet of plywood on top of sawhorses, clamped down and much more stable than it sounds,with the mother just inches away. Usually a gray muslin backdrop.