Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper vs. Colorlife.

Hello.

I'm a little confused here. I was under the impression that

this 'Colorlife' was a consumer type of paper until I finally looked

at the specs. Has anyone used both? Which do you prefer? I print

with Epson 890 and I'm just bored of the Premium Glossy Photo paper.

Thanks.

I've used both, and I actually prefer Heavyweight Matte (which actually isn't very heavy). It has good vivid color saturation, it's as "archival" as you'll get with a dye ink-set, it dries quickly, and it's cheap. Colorlife has even more vivid and "snappy" color with equal estimated fade resistance. But it's quite expensive, and prints require special care in handling because they don't dry immediately.

I don't normally use the Premium Glossy paper. While prints on it could easily be mistaken for those made in a traditional darkroom, its estimated fade resistance is considerably less than either Colorlife or Heavyweight Matte. And it has a reputation for premature fading when ozone is present, although Epson may have solved that problem. For those reasons I wouldn't use Premium Glossy for prints I plan to sell.

Ted,

Is that possible that you confuse some issues here? What printer and what color paint cartridges do you use ?

Mostly the quality of inks that what makes longevity of color prints, and less so of the paper quality.

Use original color paint like those that come with Epson R1800, and you will be set for life with the Epson Premium Glossy papers.

I switched from Canon i9900 printer and papers to Epson R1800, and no longer observe any color deterioration on Premium Glossy paper. Or possibly it is too early to tell ? While prints on Canon were fadeing only after 1/2 to 1 year, the R1800 paints seem to hold well so far. But the time will tell.

Frank,

It's not as simple as ink or paper. The combination determines fade resistance. In the case of Epson dye inks, ColorLife paper does a better job of trapping and protecting the ink from ozone than PGPP, which is a huge part of its fade resistance with the dye set.

In the case of Epson pigment inks, you are correct, PGPP prints will last a lifetime. Still, there are differences in fade resistance between papers even when using pigment inks.

"And it has a reputation for premature fading when ozone is present, although Epson may have solved that problem. For those reasons I wouldn't use Premium Glossy for prints I plan to sell."

Yes, Epson already solved that problem. Whatever reputation you have in mind about Premium Glossy paper ?, may no longer apply to the latest paints developed for R1800 and R2400 printers. And that proves that the paint makes this paper long lasting.

You always get what you paid for. Get archival quality paints, and do not build up a "reputation" for paper that is of excellent quality.

With it's polymer surface encapsulating ink it could easily multiply unframed print lifespan by a factor of 10 over Premium Glossy or other RC family papers. However, I really prefer the look of Premium Lustre despite the surfaces being similar. It may have something to do with differing dot-gain characteristics.

Another thing I should note is that my R200 looks much better than the 985 I used to have on absorbing polymer papers like this and Ilford's Classic line I think due to 5760x1440 spreading the ink more evenly than 5760x720 so Colorlife might not look as well as you want on an old 890.

Frank, I have an Epson 1280 printer, which uses the same ink set as the original poster's 890 (though the five-color cartridge is larger). So my comments refer to that combination specifically. The fading problem associated with Premium Glossy applies to that ink set. It got a lot of publicity in the days of the 1270, but I haven't heard much about it recently. That may mean Epson solved the problem once and for all. But Premium Glossy prints still have a much shorter estimated life than those on Heavyweight Matte or Colorlife.

Colorlife is being discontinued by Epson. It currently is still available in 44 in. by 100 ft. rolls. It seems that just as one becomes familiar with a paper or ink, it is replaced with something "better". I would not run out and buy a dye based printer because I suspect that Epson will supply only pigment based inks in the near future.

"Colorlife is being discontinued by Epson. It currently is still available in 44 in. by 100 ft. rolls"

Dan,

Where did you see this? The 8.5 x11 & 11 x19 sheets are still listed on Epson's web site, although the "Epson Store" is out of 11 x19

Hello Rich, I tried to buy 13 x 19 on-line from several sources and got the same response- out of stock. I did find some 8 1/2 x 11 from Superwarehouse but they also told me that colorlife is being discontinued. BH still sells the large rolls. So between the two, I think I have enough for several years at which time I will switch to pigments.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. Anyone got a link to an Epson press release Re: this silliness ?

I print on ColorLife on a 960 and a 1280. I like the look, feel,

and longevity. Especially the longevity. With no ColorLife, I'll

abandon those printers, which means Epson doesn't get me to buy

ink for them anymore.

By the way: just ordered thirty 20-sheet packs of 8.5x11 ColorLife

at Adorama.

-- stan