M7 serial number for MP viewfinder

s._hon

This question has come up a number of times before in this forum and ultimately the serial number cut-off for the M7 finder change is unclear. However, your number seems to fall into the cut-off range.

Even if you contact Leica with the question they will not be able to tell you definitively as they did not record the numbers. Therefore, the top must me removed to determine if the finder has the upgrade or not.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I understand your curiosity but, believe me, it has no real importance. I own a perfect M3 (reputed to have best viewfinder of all), an MP (with the best modern viewfinder) and an M7 #277xxxx (with the first viwefinder, M6 style).

The M3 viewfinder never flares.

The MP is flares a little if you don't align your eye properly in the finder. The M7 simply flares a little more... nothing to anguish for, you'll never miss a shot because of this.

If not side by side, I cannot tell you which is which. Both are excellent.

That's right.

My MP is 0.85 (the flariest) and the M7 is 0.72 (medium in its category)

I wear glasses (heavily short sighted), but use correction lenses with all my cameras, not eyeglasses.

BTW, these finders are so good (all) that I can focus properly even without glasses or correction lenses... if necessity arises.

But is it not possible to tell from the external appearance of the VF? Someone suggested to

me (an experienced Leica salesperson) that the tell-tale sign on the MP finder is the blue-

ish 'bloom' on the VF glass... I've no idea whether this is the case or not and as my M7 is

currently at Leica for work I have asked them to tell me which VF it has.

--alun

"This might be an indication that Leica knows exactly the serial # when the M7 got the MP VF."

Use some common sense people!

Any camera prior to 2,8xx,xxx was definitely not produced with the new VF. Leica knows when the MP was introduced and they know when the MP/M7 cameras were made. What they don't know is where in the line the M7 cameras made the change (the numbers in the transition from old to "upgraded" finders were not recorded).

All finders (prior - all the way back to the M4-2) can be fitted with the MP finder upgrade. So any camera produced prior to 2003 CAN have an MP finder if it was upgraded.

If Leica (or the best technicians) can't tell if the finder has the upgrade without taking the top off, then you won't be able to tell either.

– Yogi Berra

"If it is a MP VF, then there should not be any flare at all?"

The "upgraded" finder will make the RF flair resistant, not flair free. That means the finder still might flair with the new finder from time-to-time. All Leica M7 cameras have coated RF windows designed to help prevent RF patch flair. So regardless of which finder your camera has, you may never have a patch fade-out problem.

After you receive the camera just use it and enjoy it. If the RF patch flairs on you then take (or send) it to a reputable Leica technician and ask him/her to check it over.

– Yogi Berra

• 2 years later...