banding continued...

louise1

I picked up a replacement D200. I was a little skeptical as the serial numbers were close. but I took the

camera home and did a light bulb test. I still have some banding.

But what is more curious than that, when I took the camera home, I didn't have to do any of the set up I

did with my first D200. teh date and time etc was already in there.

I'm wondering if this body is a return. I don't want to take on anyone's return as they likely returned for a

good reason. Can I find out how many images were shot?

I'm happy to march back down there tomorrow morning and get another one.

Kind of takes the wind out of your sails.

thanks!

That brings up the question of how many shots will be on a new camera. I assume they test the things to some degree, and may or may not reset the counter to zero. Worst case, some automatic testing might put a surprisingly high number in there, indistinguishable from someone taking a couple dozen shots and returning it. FWIW, the worst case condition for banding is said to be ISO400- try it at various speeds.

I had the same thing happen to a D70s I bought recently - it was already configured with the time, date, language, etc. Turns out there were over 200 photos taken with the camera. Nikoon service informed me that while the cameras may be tested before they leave the factory they should not be configured when you receive them, nor have a few hundred photos taken.

I returned mine and bought from another camera store. THe new one had 0 exposures taken and was not pre-configured.