Nikon D200 or Nikon D80 + 18-200mm VR?

magnus2

D200, no question about it. The D200 is a professional league camera a semi-consumer price point. More rugged all around, works with all or almost all Nikon lenses, including manual focus (which I have 15 of). The D80 is the poor man's D200, so if you can afford it go for the real thing. An 18-200 would be an extremely convenient lens but I can't see buying anything less than a 2.8. It's not a matter of shooting wide open but rather of how well the autofocus works and just being able to see through the viewfinder in lowlight situations whether it's your living room shooting the kids or a church or reception hall shooting a wedding. Not to mention being able to throw distracting backgrounds out of focus. I could see it as a vacation lens when you want to travel light but I would prefer a series of 2-3 2.8 zooms to cover the same range.

Wow, I completely disagree. The D80 is a fantastic camera with nearly the same features as the D200, for $500 less. I would buy the D80 and use the $500 you saved toward the lens of your choice. I've had a D80 for a couple of days now and I'm pretty happy with it. The more I use it the more I like it. I used the D200 for a couple of weeks and it's nice too, but more than I need. I like the smaller size and weight of the D80, and the price is better too. Depends on what kind of shooting you're doing. If you're shooting professionally by all means get a D200. If you're traveling or just a casual weekend shooter (like me) get the D80. It's better than you think.

Dave<div>00IVLo-33059984.jpg.cdd4a96d67b99ed8b707cd9d33c2cfd7.jpg</div>

I had the same dilemma two months ago. I ordered D80 and after a week I returned it and ordered D200. The decisive factor was that with D80 I could not use my manual lenses 35/1.4 and 85/2.0 (no exposure).

However, I was very happy after I receved my D200. Now I take it everywhere with me. Photography became my passion again. I did not have such feelings with D80, even if "out of the box" the D80 took more vivid and sharper looking pictures than D200. D200 tends to underexpose pictures, however you can correct it with the settings.

I think Ken Rockwell describs it well: "D200 is a solid tool while the D80 is a very high quality toy."

Check it at: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

I used to be an advanced photographer 20 years ago using Nikon FA.

D200 is my first digital and autofocus SLR. I also bought 18-200 VR.

Hmm, I can use my manual lenses with my D80 just fine. Were you trying to mount non-AI lenses? It will accept any AI or AIS lens without any problem. I find that I can correctly estimate exposure in one or two tries as well, and unless your lighting conditions are changing rapidly, you can usually just shoot away at the setting you choose. Here in Seattle on a cloudy day, 1/125 at f8 at ISO 200 is a good starting point :-)

Dave

Well a D200 with no lens is useless, so the D80 with the 18-200VR. I have this lens and it is awesome. Now I also have some great other lenses 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 35 f2, 85 f1.8.

Now if you made me choose between a D80 and D200 then the D200 every time even though it costs more.

What lenses to you have.

When I first started photography with Nikon AF cameras (not too long ago), I could not imagine life without a light meter. After two years of playing with medium format gear, I couldn't care less for an in-camera meter, especially if it is a digital camera and you can see the results instantly and correct if necessary. In my opinion, the ability to meter with MF lenses should not be the deciding factor when we're talking about a $500 difference.

The d80 is a 'lite' d200. Picture quality is identical. The viewfinder is identical. It is also smaller and lighter.

Unless you need the extra features of the d200, go for the d80.

Of course, the best way to know for sure is to try them both for yourself.

"D80 is the poor man's D200"

Or maybe the D200 is the rich man's D80. Just kidding. I'm looking at both of these cameras for my first DSLR. Any Nikon is a great camera, and it's silly to put down a particular model just because you happen to own the other. I would say they are both more capable than 99.9% of the people who buy them.

If weight is a concern, go with the D80. I have a D70, D200 and also the 18-200mm. I bought the D200 and it's weight was not a concern when i first got it...but if you have to shoot for long periods, the weight does slowly kill you! I never had wrist problems...but i am getting a small pain these days and considering a D80 to replace it. I recommend the D80 so you have some spare change to buy the 18-200.

Hmm... I just ordered a D200 yesterday as my first digital SLR. Coming from an N90s, I had sleepless nights wondering when the D200s would be announced!

I'll try the D200 with my existing lenses (50/1.8AF-D, and the horribly overpriced 1st gen 28-200/3.5-5.6 AFD). Maybe this will breathe new life into that 2nd lens as it will be faster/easier to test its limits, than waiting to finish a roll of slide film...

For those of you who came by an 18-200 VR lens...

1) how did you get it (kit or by itself?)

2) where did you get it from?

3) how long did you have to wait for it?

I think I'll be in the market for the 18-200VR considering its reviews, but I'm deathly afraid of these do-it-all zooms, after my mistake with the 28-200...