� It�s about 30 years old

The internet for has given me some information. But now I am confused

now and have many questions. So I am hoping that I can get some

information in this forum.

With the little knowledge I have, I have not been able to determine

the model number. Using the above information, can anyone determine

the camera model?

Is this a medium or large format camera? Some websites say 2x3 is a

large format but he said it was a medium format camera.

What is the film size for this camera? It seems that it is called 2x3

but is actually 2 � x 3 � . I tried to find the film of that size but

cannot find it.

Converting 2 � inches to metric is 5.72cm. Does the camera use 120

film and uses only 5.72cm of the 6cm?

Thanks for your help.

The camera is probably a Linhof Technika 6x9. 6x9 is the nominal metric equivalent to 2x3 inches. The film size would cause most people to classify this as a medium format camera, but the camera configuration and ability to use movements gives it capabilities normally only seen in large format cameras, so it also gets put into that class.

Today most people would use this camera with a roll film back and 120 film.

Here are some links about these cameras:

http://cameraquest.com/lint369.htm and http://cameraquest.com/lin69.htm

Your description isn't specific enough to identify the model, though a guess might be made from the age.

I don't get exactly why meeting people willing to give for free extra-expensive ultra-classy cameras always happens to SOMEBODY ELSE.

However, the format of the camera is 6x9cm when used with sheet film holders. If you want to use 120 rollfilm, you should check first if it comes with a rollfilm adapter, or eventually buy a used one. There are adapters of two sizes: 6x9cm and 6x7cm. You can choose the one you like the most.

Understanding which specific model of the 2x3 Linhof series your camera may be is a sticky problem. Only a picture could help figuring it out, and even in that case it would probably be matter of debate.

Paul,

I do not know if this is the same camera. The one he has is around 30 years old. Does Linhof still sell the same model these days?

It's incredible that these cameras are so expensive! When my wife's uncle told me about the camera, I took a wild guess that it would be worth under $1000 with the lens included. I did not ask him the value of the camera. It may be very well be worth that because the camera is old and I don't know it's condition although I suspect it should be in fairly good condition.

Actually, I am hoping that the camera is in excellent condition but worth less than $1000. If it were very expensive I would feel very bad about accepting it. Plus, if it needs to be repaired, expensive cameras may lead to expensive repairs.

• 5 months later...

Gary,<br>

First, you are lucky.<br>

The Linhof 23 is a true piece of work. Linhof manufactured many 4x5" folding Technikas : the III, the IV, the V and the last one, the Master Technika. But much less 23 (6x9) cameras.<br>

About terminology : <br>

- A "Technika" is a camera without rangefinder, (focusing and framing through the ground glass)<br>

- A "Super-Technika" has a rangefinder. Each lens has a cam connected to the rangefinder for focusing, and uses a viewfinder for composition and framing.<p>

The Linhof 23, is a "small-sized" folding camera, like the 4x5" I quoted higher.<br>

Linhof produced only 3 or 4 models of 6x9 Technika cameras : <br>

- The Technika III, AKA "Study camera" without rangefinder was the first in production, probably in the mid of the fifties.<br>

- The Super-Technika IV (with rangefinder on the top) from 1956 to 1964.<br>

- The Technika 70 (1962 to 79) folding, with built-in selenium exposure meter (not TTL), rangefinder and viewfinder in a big housing on the top of the body. One of the most produced Linhofs in the sixties. Probably your uncle's camera.<br>

This model uses three lenses, all coupled to the rangefinder by a tri-lobed cam, for these lenses combinations 65-100-180 or 53-80-180 or 53-100-180.<br>

- The Technika Press. (1956-63). An excellent camera, but not a folding camera : no front bellows, no front tilt/shift movements.<br>(Movements only by the back of the camera). A press camera. Has also a tri-lobed cam and the lens combinations 53-95/100/105-180. Some with Zeiss lenses.<br>

- The top : the Super-Technika V. The equivalent of the modern Master Technika, in 6x9 format. Rangefinder, all front and back movements. Lever control for rising lensboard. Lenses individually coupled from 65 to 360mm, with a single cam. 120/220 6x9 or 6x7 or 6x6 magazines.<p>

All these cameras use the same 120/220 roll films (220 has twice the length of 120 films). It's the same films that you find now for medium format cameras, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Rollei, Pentax. <br>

All the so-called 120/220 films have a final height of negative of 56mm, and a variable width, according to the format of the magazine : 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, 6x 4 1/2...<br>

Also a Polaroid back is available.<br>

The price ? High quality, small production, many hand made parts, everything is mechanical, no electronics. That's all.<br>

With a Linhof, you don't buy a Canon or a NIkon. (Not pejorative, just a different conception and production)<br>

IMO, it's the difference between a Patek, or a Rolex and a Seiko or a Swatch.<br>

I can send you by email some users manuals, you will see how it works.<br>

• 8 years later...

Old thread, but some little corrections:

The Technika III was also built with and without rangefinder. I have a 1954 original price list, here the Rangefinder cams

are not labeled as "Super", this came later...

So my "Super Technika III" from 1954 hast to be called "Technika III 6x9". It was sold with cammed Angulon 65, Xenar

105, Xenar 180.