Air Travel

slantt

Hi...I did a bit of travelling with my gears...and have some experience...however, only positive. The most important thing is to carefully adjust what you will carry on board depending mostly on the types of the planes you will be using (they should be mentioned in the travelling plan you get from the travelling agency).

In my last overseas trip I took the whole LOWEPRO Computrekker AW Plus with me in the cabin (and trust me this is a big sucker!) and there was no problem. I think it weight about 12 kg, and they let me go up with it. No problem. However, when I fly within Europe, I bring usually smaller bag, a LOWEPRO Slingshot 200, and then they usually let me carry a notebook in a separate bag.

One rule I follow of course is that I would never check-in the gears, whatever they say...rather put something else there and pay for the overweight than have it smashed by those 'bullies' throwing the suitcases on it.

I hope I was of some help. Regs, Alan.

According to the TSA website you are allowed a camera bag in addition to your regular one

piece + personal item. So pack your camera bag as usual (don't overstuff it, in case they have

to open it at the check point). Anything that doesn't fit (like flash, chargers, etc. pack in your

regular carry-on luggage. In case you have to travel on a smaller plane you can keep your

camera bag with you and the carry-on could go in the hold. Also, when you send your

camera bag through the x-ray machine keep it separate from your other items (jackets,

shoes, laptop case etc.).

Well it's time for the TSA to pick up the slack and rule the world (i thought it's well on the

way).

Well one advice for anybody travelling on the obscure little Chessnas (or whatever) in

Botswana, bring a small bag with the most essential things (2-3) everything else will be

checked on the wing cargo hold.

best

MS

Thanks, all, for your input. I'm only going to Florida from Maine so I don't think I have to worry about Cessnas in Botswana. But - I will take care to carry-on my equipment. Luckily (sigh) I don't have a Canon 600mm or anything approaching that size - just a 20D, two-three small lenses, and a laptop.

Thanks again...

Jim,

Three weeks ago, I traveled from Tulsa to Albany, NY. I carried my large camera bag with one extra lens, camera w/lens attached, batteries, chargers, flash, basically everything plus my meds. No problems. On the small planes it wouldn't fit in the overhead, but I was able to slide it under the seat in front of me. TSA was courteous and quick.

Happy travels!