CV 15 Heliar on M mount

jackson loi

Hi,

I just received my CV 15/4.5 Heliar today. I tried it onto my M6TTL with a

lens adapter that I purchased 3 years ago from Hong Kong (but never used).

I cannot get the lens to align properly. That is, the white dot on the lens

does not go far enough to reach the center, where the L seal supposed to be on

the M3. I made sure I hear the click when I attached the lens adapter, and I

tightened the lens as far as it can go.

There is obviously something wrong, either with the lens adapter or the lens

itself. I think it might be the adapter, but not sure. If the problem is

caused by the lens, then I would have to return it back to the seller. Did

anyone have similar experience?

Much appreciated for your responses.

Information about the adapter: 28/90 frameline L - M Adaptor Ring,

branded "Universal" and packaged in a red card box. Made in Japan...

The adapters are easy to find (in my part of the world, at least) and inexpensive. In your place I'd take the camera, lens and adapter to some friendly nearby used camera store and explain what the problem is. They'll have other adapters: if they work, buy one; if they don't, you'll know that the problem is with the lens.

Wait a second.

How far from the center does the lens go? If it's only a few degrees off, it should not

matter. My 15mm Heliar goes ~5 degrees past the center -- no problems. Lots of older

screw mount lenses are +/- a few degrees from the center. In addition, many lenses were

designed to land about 30 degrees past the center (~1 o'clock), Canon lenses, for

example.

Cheers,

David

If the adapter locks, it is fine.

If there is vignetting from the shade because the lens is not infinity top, Then remove the mounting thread and reorient it in one of the other holes, then replace the screw thread mount. I fixed mine the day I got it 3 or 4 years ago so the details are fuzzy

Leica lenses are made to be infinity at 1 o`clock whether mounted on a screw camera or M via adapter.

Peter, yes, that's my plan too. Just wanted to learn from the forum before I go to the store.

Stephen, David,

Mine is just a few degrees off too. It's pointing somewhere between 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock. I am surprised to hear it's normal, since the built-in shade on the lens is designed to block off rays from specific angles with respect to the image plane--and now they are not blocking those specific angles. I checked in a few Japanese M guides, and these lenses seem to align perfectly at 12 o'clock. It's just strange because misalignment and 'mechanical precision' don't usually go together. Oh wait, Leica did not design these adaptors or lens. :S

Thanks for the contributions so far!

If you've ever tried an old screw mount Visoflex 2 unit you'll know that they had three screws which had to be undone and the mount loosened to align the unit properly on the camera, then re-tightened. The screw mount is just not such an exact science as the bayonet. I reckon this is normal.