R8 compatibility with dmr

I have an R8 with a serial number of 2464265. I was wondering if there is anyone using an

R8 with an earlier serial number who has used a dmr back on their camera? Some R8's are

compatible and some have to go back to Leica to have the electronics modified. If you have

an earlier R8 body that has not been modified and you are using the dmr, please let me know

as I won't have to send my camera back to New Jersey for modification.

Thanks,

Lawrence

Lawrence

Woudn't it be easier, if you have concerns over the compatibility you mention, to contact Leica [New Jersey] and find out 'for sure' what the answer is?

I for one would be interested in what they have to say.

Bruno

Bruno and John.

That's waaay too logical, guys. I already did that and Leica service said "send it to us and

we'll check it out,"

I'm going on a trip in a week. If I were to send it to NJ, it wouldn't be back in time for my

departure. They have a list of serial numbers of R8's that have been modified and I guess it's

not in the realm of possibility for them to look up a few numbers.

Lawrence

I've got a r8 as backup with serial 2434... it works with my dmr.. but I have to eject the

battery part-way to turn off the dmr unit.. switching camera off just turns camera off.

on r9 switching camera power to off shuts down everything.

seems fine other than that..let me know if I'm missing something here. thanks

DMR CERTIFICATION:

You can send your R8 to Leica (as I did) and they'll do a TLA and test for DMR functionality, adjust accordingly if it's not behaving with the DMR.

Sent it back in a nice, sealed little LEICA plastic bag which I hateed to open but did.

Turnaround time for this from Seattle to New Jersey and return was about 10 days.

I bought an R8 to use with DMR, sn. 242...., and it works like a charm. The previous

owner said it would work and it did. He may have had it adjusted.

No problems with operation. I did finally send it and the DMR to NJ to work on some focus

alignment issues, which they happily and quickly fixed for n/c. They did charge to adjust

the lens and CLA.

NJ Leica told me that they can't tell you by serial number because there seems to be little

consistency in the R8's as to which ones need improvment and which don't. That said, they

are remarkably helpful in making the R8's work.

Geoff