cannon eos1v vs eos 20d

I am a begging surf photogapher and looking for a step up in my equipment. I am

having a really hard time with the decision to go digital or flim. I know that

canon is the choice for me, and it is between the 35mm eos 1v or digital eos

20d. Seeing how I need something good for sunny conditions, great clarity, and

some really fast shots what is the better choice between these two cameras.

please help!

Lance

http://www.camcorder-battery-shop.com

If weather sealing is a factor (surf photography sounds like a lot of salty water splashes, and sand) and your budget doesn't strech to a 1D, then that should point to the 1v.

Note that it looks that weather sealing is getting less and less exclusive with other brands (Pentax, Nikon). Maybe Canon should revise their policiy, both for bodies and lenses.

<i>>>some people suggest,<<</i>

<p>

Respect the Forum Rules:

<p>

"...If you include a hyperlink in any posting, it should be <b>directly relevant to the question asked. (Linking to your own personal site as a matter of course is not acceptable;</b> there is already a place for a personal home page URL in your user profile and/or biography.)..."

<p>

AS for your question: one camera is film the other is digital so, it's a matter of what you want to shoot. To compare them is to compare apples and oranges.

<p>

If you want to shoot DIGITAL with the same exact metering, AF and general body toughness of the EOS1v you will need to use one of the series 1 digital cameras. For surfing, the EOS 1DMKII is excellent as it provides 1.3 crop which helps with teles and has the highest frames per second of any digital EOS camera.

<p>

IF that camera is out of your price range the 20D (or the new 30D) will also be very good cameras for surf shoots. You will need a 300/400mm lens to get good reach.

<p>

If you can't afford the very pricey 400mm f/2.8 IS look into the 300 f/4L IS with or without a 1.4 TC.

<p>

Good luck!

There are few things more annoying than having to swap roles of film during any sort of action shooting. I got pretty good at it with my 3, but removing the hassle by using digital makes life much easier. That being said, is this a real real post? Your name and the link at the bottom of the post imply that your main purpose is to sell camcorder batteries.

Digital is incredible for experimenting and learning! You will need crop factor and resolution for what you want to shoot so I would consider the XTi. If the weather gets at it you can replace it and still not be in the price range of a used 1D.

In the past year I have backpacked with my 10D in the woods, laid it on rock beaches for superwide angle shots, switched prime lenses at least 1000 times and only blew off the sensor once. Sure the body is scratched up, but who cares, I bought it for the same price as a new XTi!

The obvious answer is to go digital. However be careful with that camera, as body costs are entirely front-loaded. If you drop it in the surf you have lost a lot of money. If you drown a film camera, the replacement costs will be lower. Certainly the learning curve with digital will be steeper, as you will naturally experiment more and learn faster. The other issue is the 1.6 lengthening factor with the 20D vs the 1v. This could end up saving you some dough for long glass, at the expense of the short end.