problems with bogen 3021pro

caleb_heale

i just recieved a new bogen 3021p set of legs and the center column is

(allegedly) able to be removed from the head plate so that ground

level shots are possible. for the life of me, i cannot get the knob on

the bottom of the center column to losten. am i doing something wrong?

im not going to win any tough man competitions or anything but i would

think it shouldent be this difficult. im really close to just

tightening it down in a vice to see if i can get it to losten up, but

id feel really dumb if i broke a brand new piece of eqquipment because

i overlooked some slight detail.

anyone else had this problem? any suggestions?

I don't think it's a knob! If I'm correct, it's a rubber cover that holds an adjustment (allen key) wrench. To remove you simply "peel" it off. Also, (if I remember) when reattaching you have to line up a hole in the extension with a nipple on the plug.

If you have the current style 3021BPro's center column, there is a break in the actual column about two inches below the mounting plate for the head. To see this, loosen the knob that lets you raise and lower the column. Raise the head a few inches above the leg set and look for the break between the two parts. The upper section of the column is two inches long and the lower section is 14 inches long. At the bottom of the lower section is a metal ring for a strap and below that is a knob. You have to unscew the knob about ten full turns to be able to separate the column parts.

If yours is too tight to even start to unscrew, then you need a replacement.

You MAY be trying to turn it the wrong way. With the entire tripod upside down and the bottom of the column pointing at you, you need to turn the knob counter-clockwise to loosen it. Again, it has to go ten full turns to have the thread release so that the column parts can separate.

The "triangular piece" is part of an older design. Owners of older 3021 pro models can purchase a new two-piece column and have the same features as the latest models. Order the 055TS (bright finish) or 055TSB (black finish) column.

With the new column, all you do is unscrew the lower section and what is left is a two-inch column, allowing the tripod legs to splay out flat and have the camera just inches off the ground.