roy1

Just wondering what you'd recommend for someone who's looking for an

affordable 35mm rangefinder. All I'm really looking for (as far as i

know) is something that can meter has a semi-decent lens (doesn't

have to be amazing) and is small enough to carry around for candid

b&w photography.

<br><br>

Of course I wish I could get my own leica, but for now this is the

budget... perhaps i'm asking for a little too much.

<br><br>

Thanks<p>

--Roy<br>

<a href="http://www.NYvisual.com"> www.NYvisual.com </a>

I have and use three Yashica 35mm rangefinder cameras. I have a Yashica Electro GT, and Yashica Lynx 5000 and a Yashica Lynx 14.

I also have a contact with a repair person who can ClA these for about $30 if you get one that's not working. I just got my GT back in new condition.

All I'm saying is that you have many options. My Yashica GT cost me $20 and the CLA was $30. My Leica M2 is a bit more than that but it is perfect and will last a lifetime.

Check out this site and click on "35mmclassifieds."

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/

Go to cameraquest.com and look up compact 70s rangefinders. There's a slew of them there; the best ones fetch a bit more than $100, while many will cost around $30-$50. Lots and lots of them have great lenses, let alone great lenses for the money. The Canonet QL-17 G-III is the most common one and is a good one for a good price.

Thanks for the reply Todd!<br>

<br>

just looked at pictures of the Yashica Electro GT and it looks like what i had in mind (though not many available on the auction site)... i'll look into it on the site you mentioned. which of the yashicas is your favorite (since they are all within budget).<p>

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks guys, <p>

This beauty Canonet (item # 7597619724) looks really clean... do you think it's over priced? It looks great to me but then again these cameras are not exactly something I know much about at this point.

Should i not be diving into it without more research? I think your experience can save me the research for once...

<p> Thank you for your guidence, keep it coming.<br><br>--Roy

1. To read a bunch of reviews, go to www.cameraquest.com

You'll find photos, brief descriptions etc.

Many manuals are on the Net - by reading some of those you'll be able to see precisely what the camera can do

2. Lynx is one of the few with a fast lens, but it's very bulky.

Canonets have one major fault - manual is NOT METERED (may be true for Lynx as well).

This is boollschitte. You should not switch modes to just meter a scene - or alternatively be forced to drag around a separate meter.

The only quality rangefinder with a fixed lens that is also very fast and METERED manual and SPOT metering - is Olympus SP.

They come cheap, 50-80 (at least when I looked last), and are excellent cameras if a clean one is bought. They are also not rare at all.

This little Olympus rangefinder is the ONLY one with a spot meter.

One I like, and have, is the Konica Auto S2. It's fairly widely available and inexpensive, though a bit heavier and larger than some of the others. It is not a pocketable camera, unlike the more modern and automated but superb Ricoh GR-1 series to which Eric refers.<p>

Good quality 45mm f/1.8 Hexanon lens, shoots either manual or shutter priority AE, and one more thing: the meter continues to function in manual mode, which is not the case with many others in this class. Starting with your stated budget you'll have *plenty* left for film, processing, etc. <a href=http://www.wjgibson.ca/KonicaAutoS2.htm>Photos of Konica Auto S2 here</a>.<p>

Some good photography on your site, Roy. I'll be going back to look again.

Vlad, <br>thanks for the warning, that does sound like an annoying fact, i knew it was too good to be true :), but i think that's something i could learn to live with if everything else about the camera is great.<p>

Eric,<br>I'm familiar with the Ricoh... but they are indeed a little hard to find, and i think it doesn't have that manual feeling i'd like to have with a rangefinder (it's fairly electronic if i remember correctly)<p>

Michael,<br>

Would you consider the Canonet "Pocketable"..i'm not taking that too literally, but i do want something that's fairly easy to carry, and won't make draw too much attention (at least not size wise).<br>

thanks for your kind words about my site! hopefully i'll have some more black and white candids to add to those galleries.

<< ... consider the Canonet "Pocketable" ... >> <p>

Not really, though the Canonet can be jammed into a large field coat pocket. It's smaller than the Konica Auto S2. Another smallish one that people like is the Olympus 35 RC. The Konica Auto S3 is small, but it's shutter priority only (no manual mode) and consistently goes for much more money on ebay. Another idea is the Olympus 35SP, which as the name suggests actually has a spot meter.<p>

For a truly pocketable, and not half-bad camera either, you could consider the little clamshell <a href=http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?OlympusXA.html~mainFrame>Olympus XA</a>. It's tiny, but aperture priority only, and requires a battery to function. Genuine manual focus rangefinder, though.<p>

No shortage of choices. I believe even Ricoh made such a camera (500G ?) The trick is to find a working camera whose weight/size/features, etc. are such that you'll want to take it out and use it.

<p><a href="http://nelsonfoto.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2518">You've just missed one Konica Auto S2 from a reputable seller at an excellent price.</a></p><p>Cheap old rangefinder cameras are numerous. The problems come with miniaturization, as this happened at about the same time that electronic shutters and automation came in. If you want compactness, the Minolta 7sII is reputedly excellent. If you can live without it, the Konica Auto S2 (recommended above) produces excellent results and has a more accurate viewfinder than, say, a Leica (the angle adjusts with distance), though I have to say that I find its shutter release spongy. Variable-field finder aside, the Minolta 7s is very similar, and tends to cost less.</p><p>Try <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FN8K">this thread</a>.</p>

The GR-1 is NOT A RANGEFINDER!

There are a buttload of Russian rangefinders out there. How about a Kiev? It's a Commie

Contax - same build, parts, etc. They have a reputation for good quality and reliability (may

need a tune up).

Another option is the Olympus XA, which is about as small a rangefinder in 35mm that you

will find. Fast f/2.8 35mm lens, good quality. About the size of a pack of smokes.

I will second Eric~

OK the GR-1 is NOT a rangefinder, but it is a great little camera (I have owned two and am seriously thinking about getting another)

It will fulfill all the criteria you list (except it's lack of 'rangefinderiness') and if used in 'snap' mode makes a perfect candid B&W machine with a great lens, good metering and a lens hood as well.

Look for a minty GR1-S or GR-1V.

Most of the 70's compact rangefinders don't meter on manual mode, you can work around that. The Olympus 35RC is one of the smaller ones, a good performer in my experience. The Bessa T mentioned above does not have a viewfinder or a lens, so that would go over your budget.

Don't over-analyze this decision. Buy any one of the 70's compact rangefinders, Canonet, Olympus, Yashica, Minolta, Konica, etc, then use it. You'll get a feel for what you like, what you don't like, what features you wish it had, without putting a lot of money into it.

Then you can buy a Leica and be infected with the madness.....

Yes, most of those 70s rangefinders don't meter manually. To extend what was said, you just meter in aperture/shutter priority mode, then if you find that you have to under/overexpose, simply remember the aperture/speed that you must under/overexpose from and change it. While not as nice as being able to meter manually, I never found it to be much of a nuisance.

For that price you could also probably just be able to afford a used Contax G1 with the amazing 45/2. It has autofocus and autoexposure modes, is very well made and the lens is incredible - a clear step or two above even the best fixed lens rangefinders. Also, unlike all of the other recommendations so far, this camera used interchangeable lenses so you can add other focal lengths and build a system (almost every lens in the line up is world class). These are unique cameras and not everyone gets along with them, but if you do the price to performance ratio right now makes it an unbeatable value. Check out contaxg.com for pictures and info from people who use these cameras. There is also a good article here on photo.net on the equipment review section.