Driving me crazy! - canon 10d errors

richard_baca

I have a Canon 10d that has lately shut down after I take picts and

displays a error '99'. What is that? Time for 'tune up'? I've

shot about 10,000 frames on it. I've been using it with a Sigma 70-

200 2.8 lately. It does it with other lenses as well. Very

annoting problem. Can anyone help?

Hi Richard, Try cleaning the electrical contacts of both your lenses and camera with a clean pencil eraser. Be sure to hold the camera and lenses upside down so flakes don't fall in them. Many times (but not all) an error 99 can be caused by a communication breakdown between lens and body due to dust/dirt buildup on the contacts. Good luck!

As I'm sure you know, the err99 error means that the camera is unable to diagnose the problem. So it may be anything. The dirty lens-camera contacts, as it was already suggested. Recently I got the same error on my 10D and it turned out to be caused by the dying battery: when I switched to a new properly charged one the err99 was gone. It may help to keep a battery in the charger for about 3 hours insead of taking it out when the constant light is on. You also want to clean the battery contacts.

If Andrew is trying to subtly suggest that your Sigma is the cause of your problem, I think he's entirely wrong. The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX lenses (right back to the first version) have an unimpeachable compatibility record - unlike Canon's 70-200 f/2.8L IS, which has been a significant source of camera lockups.

As others suggest, the most likely cause is dirty contacts. In addition to cleaning the lens contacts, you should also clean the battery contacts. If cleaning contacts fails to solve the problem, then it's time for Canon to service the body.