quite noisy when scanning - at least compared to my good old Epson

3200 (flatbed).<br><br>

Is this normal - or do you think I got a defect unit? The scans look

quite fine so far.<br><br>

Here is a 30 sec MP3 of it scanning a slide: <a href

src=http://people.freenet.de/linus42_pic/Coolscan5000ED.mp3>

Coolscan5000ED.mp3 </a><br><br>

Thanks, Andreas.

The Coolscans are noisy but good scanners. Epsons are quiet and so fitting to the sound environment of a home but the scan quality is nowhere near in the same ball park. Which do you prefer?

That said, I also hate the sound of the Nikons at 1x multisampling. That's one of the reasons I use 4x - it makes the scan sound a bit less irritating ;-), not to mention increases dynamic range by a factor of 2...

Just a thought: what kind of structure is under your scanner? The table may resonate with the scanner and this may increase the sound you hear. Nevertheless what you recorded sounded very normal to me.

If anyone has a "too loud" LS-9000 that they want to donate to me, send me an e-mail. :-)

In principle, the (single-pass) multisampling is effectively the same as using a longer exposure time. This reduces scanner noise by a factor of square root of the exposure time (which is proportional to the multisampling number). So, by using 16x multisampling, the noise is reduced by a factor of sqrt(16) = 4. By using 4x multisampling, by a factor of 2.

This is the theory. It should apply to any light detection systems where scanning noise is shot noise.

Ups. replace "scanning noise" by "noise in the signal"

A factor of 2 or 4 reduction is visible but by default you may not get it into a print. This is because the scanner's dynamic range is greater than the paper's. It will generally only show when you make adjustments in PS to bring the dark parts to within the dynamic range of the print.

Yep - I have a LS9000, and it's noisy, and I love it. I use vuescan,

and also do multi-sampling, makes a really big difference. For

important (I do mostly B/W scans) I'll do 10X oversampling. Might be

overkill, but there is no noise.