over the extra cash to trade up.

I will be doing some international travel soon, but not sure if wear

is a good enough excuse to go the magnesium-bodied 20D (I'm guessing

the XT can take a decent beating).

I shoot mainly casual portraits, performance art, and street. Not a

pro, either.

Thanks,

Jeremy

<p>Does <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html">this comparison</a> help?</p>

<p>Based on what you write, I suspect it's not going to be worth it. You'll get pretty much the same image out of either one. I suspect either one is robust enough to survive the abuse dished out by an average user. Have you really felt limited in any of the areas you mention as benefits of the 20D? If not, I'd say stick with what works for ya, and put the money towards something else (a good lens, a tripod, a photography course, waiting to upgrade to another camera somewhere down the line).</p>

Hello Jeremy, I chose the 20D over the 350D because of the few extra features and the build quality, but I'm not sure if the 20D would be a major upgrade. Unless you just can't live with the 350D, I think you might be better off in buying some L lenses or perhaps setting that money aside against any future camera that would be a significant upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Pete

NOT TO KNOCK THE EXCELLENT 20d BUT, YOUD MIGHT AS WELL WAIT TO SEE THE REAL TIME USER REVIEWS OF THE NEW 30d. i TOO HAVE THE xt, GOT IT BECAUSE I COULDNT AFFORD THE 20D AT THE TIME.(damn cap locks!) anyway, now that the 30d is here... I'm gonna wait to see how normal, everyday people like it. I figure, why not? it would have been like if i had bought the 300d when i could get the 350d.

but thats just me!

-zacker-

If you already own an XT I'd say no, selling it to upgrade to a 20D is not worth it. You'd be better off keeping the XT until the next generation after the 30D, at least another year away.

I still have the original D-Rebel, the 300D. It's a fine 3 year old camera and I plan on keeping it another year. Upgrading d-bodies too often is expensive and really doesn't gain you that much.

Buying lenses OTOH opens up many more photo possibilities. Plus lenses hold their value far better because they don't go obsolete like d-bodies.

I dont see why anyone would need to wait for a 30D review. You already know everything there is to know.

The image quality is the same as the 20D, but it has a larger LCD and Picture Styles, as well as a spotmeter, ISO in 1/3 EV steps and some small fimware changes.

I think if you need someone to tell you if you need a larger LCD, a spotmeter, 1/3 ISO steps etc., then you probably don't.

It's not like there are going to be any suprises in terms of image quality (resolution/noise etc.). If you want to know about the larger LCD etc., just read an EOS 5D review!

I doubt it would be worth $500 to go from an XT to a 20D for most users unless there's something that the XT lacks that you now find you really need (ISO 3200?, 5fps?, 1/8000s shutter speed?) Your XT won't fall apart for lack of a magnesium inner frame.

The 20D is a better camera, and the 30D is better still. Only you can decide if it's $500 better (or $800 better in the case of the 30D), assuming you can sell your XT for around $600.

Photos taken on a 20D will be completely indistinguishable from those taken on your 350D.

Unless the specific operational differences between the two cameras are extremely important

for your style of shooting (not likely) the upgrade would pretty much be a waste of money

that could probably spent much more effectively on things that can make a real difference

such as lenses.

Dan

Jeremy - for weddings, the 20D's thumb wheel was enough to persuade me to get the 20D over the XT. it sounds like you are generally interested in the 20D, but not for any specific feature. I say that unless you have a specific feature that you are looking for, I would say keep your XT for now.

then you probably don't. The only reason to go from an XT to a 20D would be if there is something that really bugs you about the XT and that keeps causing you problems.

Personally, I chose the XT as my APS body deliberately over the 20D because it's the smallest and lightest. Forget about the money, I think even the added bulk and weight aren't worth it.

(I'm also a firm believer that a backup body is better than carrying a single body with "good build quality": all that weather sealing isn't going to help against drops on concrete, scratching the lens, electrical failure, or theft.)

I have a 20D, my wife has the 350 XT.

We just spent a month and a half in India and guess what.

Some of my photos are better, some of hers are better but most of the time we cannot tell the difference.

I echo the sentiments above, unless there is some particular feature on the 20D you need, don't even think about it, the output is indistinguishable on the screen or 8 x 12 prints.

And yes, the 350 holds up well even if it is lighter and smaller - which is usually what you want when you are traveling.

As said before, It's mainly an ergonomics question. I have bot the XT, and the 20D. Image comparisons are basically identical. The 20D is much nicer to adjust on the fly. It's a couple frames per second more, 3200 ISO, and the dial wheel on the back. I prefer the 20D, but both are good cameras. I guess if you want to upgrade, I'd go all the way and get the 30D.

Mike

In upgrading from the XT, or any other digital camera, the question to ask (in my opinion) is "Am I asking whether I need to upgrade, or am I already pulling out my credit card?"

My advice is that if you have to ask about upgrading, you don't need to upgrade.

When you feel you MUST upgrade, and logic, reason, sanity, and your glands all insist that it is essential, and only an idiot wouldn't upgrade, THEN is the time to ask "Do I actually neeed to upgrade?" And take a chill pill while you carefully consider whether you need to. And remember that if you can't clearly articulate why your current camera is no longer suitable for what you're doing, you almost certainly don't need to upgrade! :-) The focus should be on how your current camera fails you, not how wonderful and irresistible the new one is!

My Canon 1Ds is two years old, and it will be my lead camera for at least two more years, so I do (now, anyway) practice pretty much what I preach! I've promised myself I won't upgrade till I can get a 5D Mark 2, or a 1Ds Mark 4....

The answer is that if you haven't done it already, then probably not. You'll do better to wait another generation or two and look again later to see if you would beneft from what's available then.

"the real question is if you want to take such an expensive camera to Europe"

There are plenty of parts of the US where I could easily get nervous about carrying expensive camera gear. Europe tends to have rather lower levels of street crime in major cities - although you still need to avoid being stupid about leaving your stuff unattended, or the flap of your camera bag open.

Although the 20D in general is a better camera, don't forget that the 350D/XT has a couple of benefits:

1. It's smaller and lighter, and therefore more convenient to pack and carry. A few hundred grams difference does matter when travelling.

2. It's less noisy.

Hi Jeremy

I have the 350D and the EOS 3 both great cameras but the EOS 3 is nicer to hold, bigger and steadier, I expect similiar to the 20D, which I have never owned or used, but the majority of reviews if not all put on equal par with the 350D for image quality. However I bought the 350D battery grip and what a difference almost like a completly diferent camera to hold. But you have the best of both worlds small camera when convenient chunky ergonomic camera when needed especially good for portraits with additional shutter buttons etc. Plus the cost is reasonable and its all very resellable if you upgrade at a later date and you have the added benefit of greater battery power and the option to use alkaline as a back up.