Brooks Short - Question for you please....

renee_marie

Or anyone else who can give me the quick run down on how to do this:

<br><Br>

In a post just a few down on the list you said:

<br><br>

<i>Whether you use your D70 or a rented DX2, use Nikon's Capture 4

and shoot tethered to a laptop so you can actually see what's going

on with the lighting, color temperatures, depth of field and

focus.</i><br><br>

I have a D70... Can you tell me what I need to do this as far as

cables etc? Does it show the picture on the laptop right as it is

taken? I would totally LOVE that. <br><br>

Thanks so much!

Renee

Firewire cable or Nikon's wireless transmitter for $500

Yes.

You will love it!

I shoot tethered with a Kodak SLRN either to a desktop in the studio or a laptop on location. The only time I ever shoot just to the card in the camera is when I'm outside and that's because it's too hard to see the laptops screen in daylight.

Hi, Renee. While I am neither Brooks nor Garry, I have used NC with my D70 and can tell you that it is very easy to learn.

Simply connect your camera to a computer using the USB cable supplied with the camera. Launch NC, then under "tools" select "show Nikon Capture Camera Control"

You can remotely adjust nearly every camera setting, or just make settings on the camera as you normally would.

Once you take a picture, the RAW or jpeg file is transmitted to your computer's hard drive over the USB 2.0 cable. The process is not instant, but it only takes a few seconds. You can open the file and view it in whatever appropriate application you choose.

If you don't have NC, just download a fully-functional 30 day trial verson from Nikon.

<i>"Firewire cable or Nikon's wireless transmitter for $500"</i>

<p>This is not correct. Only the D1 series used Firewire cables; D2X, D100/D200, D70 now use USB cables for connection to computer. The wireless transmitter is an option for the D2 series, but not the D70.

<p>You will only need to purchase Nikon Capture to shoot tethered with your D70. With NC you can use the "Nikon Capture Control" module, and connect your D70 with the USB cable that came in your kit. Once connected, you can choose in settings what to do when images are captured (view in Nikon Browser, for example). I suggest you get the trial version of NC and test it, to see if you like the speed of transfer.

Yes, Tim uses his own D2X and has a wireless transmitter attached to it. The whole thing looks like a DSLR on steroids.

I don't really know too much about it, I know that it took quite a few attempts before it actually worked, but that it now works flawlessly, allowing him to move anywhere within the studio. It suits his shooting style perfectly.

I'll speak to Tim about it on Monday, and if there's anything more to add I'll make another post.

Me, I just tether my own cameras with a bit of wire that's never long enough... It suits my style, which usually involves the camera mounted on a stand but is less suitable for the fashion shoots that Tim does. 1 other point that might be worth mentioning is that we have a large CRT monitor on a wall bracket, connected to the laptop with a 10M cable - this allows clients to see the shots without getting in the way and allows models to see them without breaking position.

BTW, here in England we have to pay much more than Americans and this wireless transmitter thing for the D2X costs about 500 pounds against 500 US$ - I must pay too much in wages:-)

Renee,

I've used Nikon Capture with a tethered USB cable and my laptop. It's really nice to have big pictures instantly without having to take out the CF card and fiddle. There is no Firewire on the D70(s).

I'd love to find a wireless USB adapter than I can plug onto the side of my camera and have it receive at the computer. There's probably a Bluetooth out there. But, for more money, you can just get the wireless for the D200/D2x/h et al.

Thank you so much for all of your replies and help. I can't wait to try this out as soon as I have some free time. I can't afford the wireless transmitter right now but I am going to have to invest in a longer USB cable if I like how it works. lol

*~Renee