Nikkor 18-200

sam_ginger

I just got my new Nikkor 18-200.

I am confused about VR switch OFF/ON.

Menual is not clear. It say, that I need turn it to OFF position

before I switch camera OFF. Otherwise it will produce some kind of

noise. Does it mean that I can't keep VR switch in ON position all

the time? Please clarify it.

You should turn VR off when using a tripod, before removing the lens, and before turning the camera off. Otherwise it can be left on.

Turning VR off parks the moving elements so they do not move when the lens is moved, which eliminates rattles and protects these elements.

Unless there is a "new improvement" in the new VR built into the 18-200 VR, you do not have to park VR or anything else, except your car, or bicycle, or whatever you ride.

VR auto parks when you take off finger from the shutter release, (within 1 second or max 1.5 sec depending on lens), after the shutter was released and picture was taken, or not taken.

In all other time instances the VR remains parked.

VR is always parked when you turn Off the camera, and you do not hold down your finger on the shutter release button at the same time.

You do not have to turn Off VR when you turn off the camera unless you keep pressing the shutter release button at the same time.

Since Nikon cannot predict all people operations, they state that:

"Do not turn camera power Off when the VR is operational".

Now we understand why Nikon uses slogan, logo, credo, or whatever you want to call it: "Life Long Learning" - since they do not care to explain anything right.

E.g. In AF_S VR 70-200 Instruction Manual is says on page 18:

"If you set the AF to ON ... on the bodies of cameras so equipped, vibration reduction does not operate". - I will leave it to your experimentation with your D70, D50, or whetever camera you have.

The AF-ON is a typical translation error from Japanese to English. This is just like the Babel Fish -translated interviews of Nikon people.

It's quite easy to accidentally turn the power off with VR operational. I routinely turn of the camera immediately after taking a picture or when I decide not to take a picture, which happens much quicker than VR turns itself off.