IIIf - shutter problem, right?

blakley

I took my iiif with me to Rome last week & took a couple of rolls.

Some were outdoors in the daytime (not that common an environment for

me) and I was using 400 speed film, so I had occasion to use 1/500 for

the first time, and I got some bad results.

The attached picture shows the problem. This happened on four or five

frames, but not on other frames on the same roll, and never on two

consecutive frames. It happened on both horizontal and vertical shots.

No sprocket holes are damaged in any way. No defect of any kind

appears on the film rebate or in any of the inter-frame spaces. Some

shots at 1/500 do not display the problem.

My speculation is that this is a shutter-tensioning problem and I

should simply avoid 1/500 (this camera recently had the curtains

replaced) - but I am also wondering if it's possible I simply dragged

a knuckle on the wind knob while shooting.

Opinions?<div>00FcOA-28767484.thumb.jpg.5fdf8e28b7518352eb1241a8d4c7d3e6.jpg</div>

Send it back. The new curtains are defective.

The curtains have holes so small you can`t see them. but when combined with the actual exposure you get streaks. I just went thru this.

The camera went to Mark Hama and he fixed the problem with new curtains.

Since you already paid, guess you have to go back to the first person. I can take a pretty good guess who.

Expose the second curtain to the sun and don`t take a pic. Expose the first on a second frame and do not take a pic. No lens on the camera. Continue on doing pics.

Until it gets worse, you will most likely be ok if you avoid 1/1000 and 1/500.

I'm sorry, but I see no signs of holes here. This is absolutely classic shutter fading on a screwmount Leica. (I know, I've worked on the same problems on my bottom-load Leica and Canon cameras.) The uneveness is because when the slot gets really thin, the roughness of the weave the fabric gets to be a significant percentage of the slot width.

You may also see some diffraction events, unsharpness where the slit is really narrow.

The question is whether the shutter curtain replacement also included a complete CLA, cleaning out all the bearings, and replacing with the right modern synthetic lubricants. Replacing the shutter without doing that is futile.

Oh, fading means uneven exposure due to the curtain width changing too much as the curtains travel across the focal plane. It should narrow some, as they speed up as they go. But not too much, and not too little.

It can come from incorrect take-up spring tensions. It can also come from incorrect positioning of the curtains on the drum.

The curtains were actually replaced because the old ones had holes. I agree that the symptom here has nothing to do with holes. I'm not sure if everything was overhauled - but if I can get around this by using slower film outdoors I'm happy to live with it for now.

I'd already discounted the possibility of holes, both for the reason you mention, Al, and because I'd already had that problem fixed...

It's sort of interesting to me that you can have a "dark leak" like this in addition to the more interesting "light leaks". I think I'll run off the last few frames of the current roll at high speeds just to check where the danger zone is...

Before sending this back to the repair shop that installed the curtains I would make absolutely sure that they know what they are about, because it doesn't look like they do, or have taken a short-cut. The slow speeds should be overhauled if they have not been; sometimes tension is increased on the curtain that drives the slow speeds in order to get them working but that results in just what is happenning to your pictures, at high shutter speeds.

I have a IIIf with exactly the same problem after it got brand new shutter curtains put in by Leica/Solms. It only happens at speeds faster than 1/25oth and has nothing to do with development. The shutter speed theory is the only one so far that matches my test results, because at the faster speeds I also get underexposed frames.

The mechanical Leicas seem to get this problem quite often.

I had a similar problem with a If. I sent the camera to John Maddox, who said that the

weave of the fabric on the edge of one of the shutter curtains was causing the problem.

As I remember, he replaced one of the curtains, that was worn badly in any case and

adjusted the shutter, with complete success. Camera works perfectly now.

• 1 year later...

Folks,

The First and Second curtains have barrel springs that after proper cleaning and re-lubricating, must be adjusted so the curtain travel times across the film opening are at 18 to 20 milliseconds. This is the proper spec for these LTM curtains.

The slow speeds are then adjusted, finished off by the high-speed slit width adjustments. You need a shutter speed checker that has multiple sensors so it can time the edge-to-edge speed.

Whoever did the repair did an amateur job of it; this is after all, camera repair 101... Gus