does "12on" actually mean? Is it just an old version of the back

(with the covered hole in the rear), or is this yet another type of

back? I almost bought an affordable A12 back but I found out in time

that it was a "superslide", which masks an area of 4x4 cm. (Why

anyone would want to do that with a 6x6 I don't understand...). I

don't want to make that mistake with a "12on" back. Is it the same

as a standard A12 back?

Thanks!

12-on usually applies to the original style of back which uses a winding key and a hole in the back of the, er, back to line up the first frame. They're fine if you're not in a hurry when changing films but not as convenient as A12 backs. A24s were intended for 220 and you may get odd spacing as a result of the difference in thickness between the backed and unbacked films. Also, you'll need to keep an eye on the counter because the camera will keep on winding after frame 12. Superslide was a fairly popular format in the 'sixties and 'seventies because it allowed photographers to shoot slides that could be used in standard 35mm projectors, a major consideration at the time.

thanks, just what I wanted to know.

Now concerning the A24 backs. If I were to use one of those, you say you have to be careful because it will keep winding on.

As it happens I had a Bronica S2A before I got this Hasselblad. With the Bronica when the last frame is up, I have to continue winding the film onto the loading spool. I was assuming the Hasselblad works the same. Am I wrong here? Or should I use the winder on the back to wind the film all the way onto the loading spool?

Kryn,<br><br>The Hasselblad backs (like any other roll film onsuming machine) is the same: you wind the film on the take up spool after exposing the last frame.<br>When using 120 film in a 220 back, that last frame comes sooner than the back thinks, so the block mechanism telling you the film is all used up kicks in much too late (after 24 exposures, even though only 12 will fit on a 120 roll).<br><br>Superslide format is something (the largest, screen filling format) that would fit in 35 mm format slide projectors, and thus a format that could be used for slide shows. Apart from that, the superslide format has indeed no purpose.

Kryn (= Krijn = Quirijn = Quirinus),<br><br>Uhm... Yes, i'm Dutch.<br>I won't tell you my first name is Quirijn or Quirinus, no. ;-)<br>I'll give you a clue, though. The priest who's duty it was to attend your namesake's shrine was the flamen Quirinalis, right? "Flamen" sounds a bit like it is related to "Vlamen". I share my first name with a Flemmish painter.

After the little bit of double dutch (!), I thought I might add a bit to the 'some people seem to be against the A24 back' question.

That presumably is firstly due to the reduced availability of film in 220. This is only relevant if you want to use a film NOT available, especially if the A24 isa second back, or believe those who say that 220 will disappear for all films before 120 does. Second is the statement that apparently many processors charge double for processing, so their is no cost advantage over 120.

If you do your own, or have a processor that does not charge double (I have a C41 processor that is the same price and E6 is less than double) then one can be ahead.

And you do get to change the film less often and have to carry less weight in film.