Nikkor AF D/S 105 2.8 : opinions and samples ?

aeiffel

Hi,<br>

I'm about to get rid of my AFS 70-200 and replace it with a fixed 105

(presumably the forthcoming VR model). Please don't tell me I'm wrong,

I know, I just can't use such a tele in the environments I'm shooting

in most of the time.<br>

I've read reviews on the AFD 105, and people seem to suggest the lens

is not really suitable for portrait. My goal is not to make studio

work with it, but I'd like to be able to capture people correctly in

available light (and use it for close-ups on various subjects too).<br>

So what is your opinion on this lens ? Care to provide some examples

of portraits wide open and closed down (5.6 & 8) ?<br>

Thanks all.<br>

Fred

Please tell us what camera you will be using with the lens you will be buying and why the 70-200 is not working for you. That fact might affect the opinions you get. Also you have to clarify what you mean by closeups? Ratio of 1:1? Or greater magnification or less? Just remember that the new 105 AFS VR is a G lens and extension tubes cannot be used with G lenses. Joe Smith

The only lens they make right now in 105 is a macro lens. Presumably a forthcoming VR

model will be different optically? If you want the new model, waiting until it comes out to see

what people think would probably be a good idea, because it may not be the same as a

current one.

-- Mark

If portraits are your goal, then you might be better off with a fast 85. The 105 Micro has

been one of my most-used lenses since 1997 and it excels at what it does, but that's not

portraiture. I find the bokeh harsh, f2.8 is often slow, and its long focus throw makes it

more tedious to work with in candid, available-light shooting. If I'm going to be shooting

people or for just walking around, I would always prefer my 85mm. Smaller, faster, lighter,

etc.

Now, if this new Nikkor has a 9-bladed diaphragm, that would solve one of the problems

but not the others. It would still be big, heavy, and have a lots of focus throw to get

through, and still only be f2.8 wide open. Of course, it's all speculation, since it's not

available yet.

Just out of curiosity, why get rid of the 70-200mm? That's a great lens.

Joseph> I'll use it on a F6, mostly with B&W films. The reason I want to trade the 70-200 is its size, the people I photograph don't appreciate cameras and they react even more badly to the size of this lens. Also, more or less for the same reasons, I sometimes have to escape nasty situations as fast as I can and the 70-200 always seems bulky on those occasions.<br>

As for close ups, I don't intend to do macro work with the 105. All I'd want is the ability to grab some small details when I need to.<br><br>

Mark> You're right, perhaps the VR will be different optically, we'll see. In the meantime I'm interested to see how the AFD performs before looking at other brands.

Thanks Erik for sharing your opinions on the 105. I'd be ok with a "slow" f2.8 (the 17-35 2.8 is my workhorse), but a harsh bokeh might be a concern. :/ Anyway I'll wait till the VR is out to make up my mind.<br>I also considered the 85, I like the results I got with it but it lacks some reach for me (I owned a AI 105/2.5 and am a bit more used to this focal).

May I suggest that you keep the 70-200mm VR -- keep it in the closet if you have to, but don't get rid of it -- you'll regret it later.

Since B&W film portraiture on an F6 is your goal, with no need for macro, I would suggest that you pick up a used 105mm/2.5 AIS for around $200-$250. You might also want to look at the 105/1.8 AIS for a little more.

Of course, if you're willing to explore other focal lengths, then you should look at the 85mm/1.4 AFD, and other 85mm versions.

KL

Well you could take a look at the 105 f/2 DC lens. It is an amazing lens.

I did get to play with the new 105 at PMA it is very fast to focus and balanced well on the D200 they had it on.

I believe it is going to cost around $800. That is a lot less expensive then the 105 f/2

Michael<div>00FXND-28631884.thumb.jpg.c992b44b42ad8a770a4e6db6ba575133.jpg</div>

1) <I'd like to be able to capture people correctly in available light> = need for speed. 2) <I sometimes have to escape nasty situations as fast as I can> = speed of a different sort. 3) <the people I photograph don't appreciate cameras and they react even more badly to the size of this (70-200mm VR) lens> = need for small size. 4) <but a harsh bokeh might be a concern> 5) <85mm lacks some reach>

If I didn't know better I'd think you're talking about the 105/2 DC as it seems to fit your bill to a near 'T'. Fast (f2), deeply recessed front element w/ built-in collapsible hood (vs. fiddling w/ detachable hood or even cap), not too large, responsive AF to get your shot and move on, out-of-focus buttery smooth (and you can do even more/better by using the DC feature). RE: close-up...minimum focus is 35 inches to film plane. It takes 72mm filters, thus a 6T close-up lens (62mm thread) on a 72-62 step-down ring might satisfy the close-up needs while preserving metering, no loss of light (vs. extension). It sounds like the perfect fit, no?

The 105 DC is an *amazing* portrait lens. Not only is the bokeh controllable if you wanted to have the background be softer than the foreground (or the other way around) but you can also throw a very very subtle degree of soft focus over the entire image, if you wanted it there.

And with the DC ring at "neutral", it's a great all-around 105.

I agree with the those who mentioned the 105mm f/2 DC. While reading you're first post that's the first lens which came to mind.<br>

<br>

If you still need more reach than what a 105mm can offer perhaps a 180mm f/2.8 could work. It weights 1.7 lbs compared to the 70-200 VR's 3.2 lbs and length-wise is 5.7" compared to the VR's 8.5". Still not a small piece of glass, but less intimidating none the less. After hearing so many great things about the 180mm 2.8D I have one coming my way this week.<br>

<br>

The 105mm macro is also a worth while choice. It costs less than the 105mm DC and is of course a great macro lens. That will be very handy for the close up pictures you mentioned in your original post. You really can't go wrong with any of the mentioned primes. Check out some reviews, look over the specs and pick the one right for you.<br>

<br>

A good place to see sample photos is <A HREF="http://www.pbase.com">Pbase</A>. Also Bjorn Rorslett is a very respected and trusted person to go by. His lens reviews are here: <A HREF="http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1">Lens reviews</A><br>

<br>

Good luck and enjoy your new glass!<br>

<br>

Angelo

I also like the 105mm f/2 DC very much. I don't do much high-magnification work and don't care much for the 105mm f/2.8 Micro, so I sold it. Sometimes I put an extension tube on the 105 DC, sometimes I put a Canon 500D diopter on the front of my 70-200, sometimes I drag out the PB-4 bellows and short-mount 105mm. Mostly, it's the first two options.

Earlier, someone wrote, "Just remember that the new 105 AFS VR is a G lens and extension tubes cannot be used with G lenses."

This is not true. I have tested my 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR with a 25mm Kenko Uniplus extension tube. Everything works, including AF and VR. That said, 25mm is not much extension for a lens this long, but that's what I had to test with. I would expect that other sizes of Kenko tubes would work similarly, separately and in combinations.