Average Annual Income Wedding Pro?

andre_noble4

As far as I can determine, the range for full time Wedding Photographers in the Detroit

Metro geographical area is roughly from $40,000. before expenses to $300,000 profit.

Big spread based on talent, and business ability. Probably more the business ability. The

average is probably around $55,000. profit based on the average wedding package price

here, and an average amount of weddings per year. Most that I know also do other forms

of photography.

A majority here, like myself, are "Weekend Warriors". Full time jobs, with weddings as a

supplement. Or work part time for larger franchise studios like Fox.

Umm... yeah... Raise your hand if you're making 8-12k per wedding... We're talking averages here, right folks? That may be the high end for Carmel, California, but far from the high-end profit you'll see in Atlanta... and certainly no where near the average.

This isn't just wedding photographers, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics says the average professional photographer made $26,610 in 2004, with the average low being $15,390 and the average high being $54,100. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes274021.htm

You also have to take two things into account:

1) The amount of hours spent both on-location or in the studio, as well as the pre- and post-work that is involved. Making a $50,000 income for a 40-hour week is decent, but for a 60- or 80-hour week, which is sometimes necessary to run a business, it's just not as pretty.

2) Also, just as Marc has mentioned, you defintely have to factor the talent of the photographer into the equation.

Jen

It depends. Success is elusive to some no matter what they do. Can a person be successful in the wedding photography business? Yes. But it depends on choices you make. What kind of a life style do you have or want? What do you need to be successful in this business? How will you drive business, getting clients to your door then signing on with you?

I'm 57, almost 58 and spent the majority of my life in another field that provided a nice living standard for my wife and family. I got out of it for mainly two reasons, it changed a lot and I didn't want to adapt to the changes and I was ready to move on.

Last evening I was the host for a Pictage user group of folks who use their services but are located somewhere here in Minneapolis. With the exception of yours truly, everyone worked at another job.

I've participated in some pretty in depth seminars and the vast majority of the people attending were working in some capacity other than wedding photography or were at a stage of life like myself.

Just examine the fixed costs of operating a small business:

health insurance

saving a little for retirement

possible studio rental costs

lab costs

automobile costs including gas, insurance and payments to own the vehicle.

assistant(s) costs

insurance such as liability, equipment and unemployment

travel & entertainment

hotel

advertising

equipment

office expense such as paper, computer software, telephone and others

education & seminars

dues to various organizations like the PPA

professional fees to accountants and lawyers

not covered expenses like medical bills

how about some money for yourself?

Can you succeed? It's up to you. Don't take this as a bleak picture but realize what goes into running a small business before stepping into it with both feet.

Working for someone else many of the above costs and tasks are completed by other people. As a small business most all of those you need to do yourself or, if you delegate them, be aware that all these things are pieces that makeup a business.

Cheers and best to you.

Anne Ruthmann said:

Your income is only limited by your ability to sell yourself and work smarter.. that's the beauty of photography.

=================

That is the absolute truth Anne. The ability to sell yourself is more important than how good your photos are. If you have the technical ability to take "good" photos but are great at selling yourself and are able to make people very happy to work with you, you will be a great success.

If you take GREAT pictures but are a pain to work with you may become succesful but it will be very short lived.

Do you want the median or the modal average?

You probably want the modal average--what income occurs most frequently among wedding pros.

From the surveys done by the Professional Photographers of America, the modal average is $20,000 net. That is the most common figure for wedding pros (which includes portrait work as well, because the vast majority of professionals who do weddings also do portraits).

this isn't too hard to figure out. Call photographers or go to Wedding Photography websites in your area and take the gross they charge and find the Median and the Mode and all of that. You will find large numbers tend to sit around a certain price. Then multiply that by the 25-40 weddings a full time pro does a year and you are pretty close. Add in some portrait work and there you about have it.

I heard a photographer in the San Diego area state once that there are so many photographers in the $2500 range they are choking each other's business! This individual went on to say that at $2500 a wedding in that area a full time wedding photographer would starve even if they got full time work.

Other areas photographers getting $1500 a wedding and shooting 40 a year are doing quite well.

With the advent of the DSLR that is affordable and has the "P" mode (film cameras have "P" too), it seems there are a lot of "friends" who will shoot a wedding for next to nothing. Overall, the # of weddings shot by professionals has decreased something like 22% nationwide, or so I have heard. This may be due to the DSLR and the friend who has it or it may be that less emphasis is being placed on professional wedding photography altogether.

Yes, the working photographers, making the averages I spoke of ...do have to work for that kind of money. Full studio staff..2 or 3 shooters at each wedding--8+ hours of shooting, plus post work. But with $86k being poverty, with a family of 4..'round this area, one has to make some serious money.<p>

So their upper scale pricing/package ..helps trickle the "budget" clients to my phone. We offer the B&G coverage ~ at more than half the price..but we offer nothing in the way of albums, on line, enlargements, etc. Straight "hand them the negs & proofs" style business and with half the hours of coverage. A considerable less stress/work load and nearly the same profit as my colleagues , after expenses.

$216,000. median income for Doctors after one year in their chosen field .... I should've

listened to my Mother.

Photography is $70,000. less median income than my day job median... and being in the top

5% of my field (advertising) that's no where near the median. Why I never went full time into

photography no matter how much I loved it. And why I admire those that did it and made a

go of it.

I'm full time for the past two years. Part time before that. The income is all over the board. The majority of photographers that I've met have no idea how much money they make, and eventually they figure out they're losing money. That's why we see so many appearing on The knot and then disappearing very quickly. Quite a few go out of business after their first year. To make it in this business and earn a substantial profit, it takes a substantial investment. Especially if you want to break six figures.

To bottom line it for you, my first year as a full time photographer resulted in well under $25K profit. But then I pursued commercial work and started making a name for myself. 2005 was good. 2006 is shaping up very nicely. 2007 should put me where I want to be unless something really bad happens to our economy.

As a side note, I've done business with some of the top companies in the US in my formal role as an operations manager. Being a self employed photographer is a LOT more challenging in some respects. Don't understimate what you are getting yourself into.

Colleen, that link was really interesting and useful. It looks like my plan to go to business school instead of photography school is a good one....gives me something to fall back on, to keep me from being a starving artist. Ah, the things we do for art.

• 4 years later...