approach I should adopt when photographing the bride getting ready

and am interested to hear from any men (sorry ladies) who incorporate

this into their shoot. Maybe I am wrong but I'm guessing that a

bride may react differently to a male photographer in this situation

just as a groom would to a female one. <p>

How do you approach it? how long do you spend? What obstacles do

you come across? <p>

Thanks in advance

Even Knot brides know the difference between men and women and can propably figure out what you are before they hire you. It will then depend on the extent of the getting ready coverage the bride wants wants. A picture that someone doesn't feel comfortable having taken, is one that they aren't comfortable showing to anyone either. The range I've experienced has been from zippering up the last 4 inches of her gown to not quite all their underware.

Most all my shoots have some sort of bride getting ready. The key idea in my opinion here is 1) your involvement with her prior to the wedding day 2) your calming nature and how you are percieved to use discretion. I always tell the bride and the Matron of honor to let me know when it comfortable or proper for me to come in. There's no cookie cutter standard apart from above since each bride is different. Just Saturday, the MOH wasn't quite ready (at all) and she merely said please keep your back to "me" and I continued shooting the bride and her parents in the getting ready room!

My recommendation is to discuss this with each client that hires you. When I did the getting ready photographs I found it comfortable to do and the people, in turn, became comfortable as well.

Now that I've got some help I will do the gents photographs and she will do the ladies. When the guys are finished dressing I will do the formals of them as well as his family. This gives more time for the ladies to get ready and also work around those who request not to see each other until the ceremony.

Don't be afraid to take pictures of the girls. Be discreet and tactful. Pre-plan what you're going to do and let all the players know up front and deal with anyone who may have a thought or two about this. If you feel awardward about a situation don't do it. Don't make any comments to them. Just write the story with your camera. Understand they are excited and all caught up with the bride on a beautiful day.

Thoughts to help you.

Always ask ahead of time what she feels comfortable with. Let her know what you would like to capture ahead of time, and have the bride send someone out when she is at that "comfort" point. Now stress, and remind her that day, that she is to send someone out. I have, in the past, had a bride tell me when she is ready for me to come in, but an aunt, or someone else with old fashion values, that decides that she wants to help the bride get ready, stopped me saying that she isn't ready for me yet, so by the time I was allowed to enter, the bride was just about done, so didn't get much of her getting ready. There are still many that have no idea what photojounalism is, and there are alot of photographers that do not do photojournalism, so they just didn't know what was going on. Good luck.

I also have a female shooting partner so its no longer a major issue for me.

However when shooting alone I always tell the MOB or MOH that I want to capture the getting ready without embarasssing the bride. That gives them control. It's important to check every few minutes since they might forget you are standing in the hallway.

By the way, I think this is one of the most fun times of the wedding with lots of laughter and sometimes tears..so don't short change the time you spend.

Matter of fact one of us follows the bride all the way to the front door of the church shooting all the time!

Usually, I'll ask if I should leave if the situation becomes "risque", but most of the brides I've worked with have been fairly discreet. You know, it really comes down to being respectful of their wishes and their modesty, even in spite of a lack of modesty in some of the dresses you often see today.

However, last summer, I shot a wedding on a very stifingly hot day, the church had few facilities to change clothes, so the bridesmaids were along with the bride as I photographed her posing in front of the cliche-mirror (my name for that shot everyone knows). As I was shooting, both of her attendants (with their backs to me) began changing into their dresses-- I asked if I should go and the bride said just ignore them. Hmmmm. Okay... Uh...

Later, when I returned the bride's completed picture package, I told her I hoped the girls weren't embarrassed by my presence in the suite, because I was! She laughed and said that it was okay, her attendants were from a small town in the hills. So that's how things are in the sticks!

If a bride wants me to do a preparationsession as I call it she pays extra for it, so than it is normal that I am present while she is dressing. However, whenever she starts to change the lingerie I'll move out and ask the bridesmaid to call me when the place is 'safe' again.

Those brides who don't want me to be present, won't take this extra session...

I incorporate both the bride and groom getting ready into my package (makes for quite a long day..but the B&Gs love it)

Usually my assistant (/wife) is with me and lets me know once the bride is decent (with the dress on but not done-up).

When my assistant/wife is not there, then I just ask one of the bridesmaids to let me know when I can enter..

Every Bride is different in their levels of modesty. Some feel that they may never look this

good again and want everything shot. Others banish me when they are about to undress to

put on the dress, and have me return as they button up the back. I leave it up to them.

Since I process in a closed loup, and don't send digital files out for processing, no one

sees the images except the couple and I. Some Brides have given me full permission to use

artful semi-nude shots on my web site.

90% of the Brides get dressed in the hour prior to the Ceremony to avoid wrinkling the

wedding gown, I usually can cover it with-in a normal packages' timing allowance.

I discuss everything that is normally covered during the first consultation meeting with the couple (which includes getting ready shots). I work solo right now, so when I am ready to do the brides getting ready shots, I just wait outside, and ask one of the bridal party members, or mom to let me know when it is okay to enter the room. Upon approval, I enter, say hi and let everyone know to keep doing as they were before I came in, and pay me no attention at all. This relaxes everyone. I hang around for about 10 mins or so, then leave. Works fine.

I like shooting the bride getting ready and think it adds to my shots. I shoot everything and when she is about to put the dress on, I say, Ill step out of the room if they want, but tell them not to zip\button\lace up until im back in the room. I dont discuss it before hand, because I do a very good job of putting people at ease and after being with me for an hour, some of the brides say, no need to leave the room. I use my judgement and give them space, but go for the tasful shot of the dress going on.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to say something from the point of view of the Bride. I think in general I thought of our wedding photographer the way you would a doctor. He is just there to do his job. On top of that things were so hectic on that day that it just would never have been practical to have him leave and come back constantly.

It was really important to me that he get really nice shots during the whole bridal preparation time. Not just the stock zipping up the dress but capturing the whole feel of the experience.

Because of the all the time he spent with us, he was able to take a lot of pictures out of which came some very memorable photographs for us. I was really happy with the results and would definitely encourage any bride to make the most of this part of your wedding.

Our photographer was there from the beginning to the end. He had suggested that he take pictures of everything and we could decide later which to keep. It sounded like a good strategy and it really paid off.

While i'm not painfully shy, I'm not one to get undressed in front of anyone other than my husband. However, the photographers friendly and professional attitude made it so we didnt think about it. So while some shots I decided not to keep, I was glad he was there to record everything.

I was even surprised how much i liked some more revealing shots like some really cute shots of me toweling off or getting my makeup done while still nude or shots putting on my lingerie. I was so happy with the pictures in general that it inspired me to sign up for a belated wedding boudoir session when we got back from our honeymoon.

in short, i recommend recording everything because you never know what is going to make a great photograph.

• 2 months later...
Just to give another Bride's point of view. I think its just silly for the photographer to be waiting in the hallway or going in and out of the room constantly. Even if you don't want any of the pictures to be particularly revealing he should be in the room to capture all the moments. There are at least two or three of my favorite photographs from my wedding that he took of my bridesmaids and me that he took while someone *not in the picture* was in some state of undress. One of my favorites is my of my sister and my best friend that he happened to take while I was in the room and hadnt even put on my bridal lingerie. These people are professional photographers and you dont have anything they havent seen before. Don't miss out on getting some of the best pictures of your wedding because of some silly shyness. Do you tell your doctor to cover his eyes when he is doing his job too after all?