DOF of 85mm len wide open

david-m

I want to get an 85mm to use wide-open (for very selective DOF on portraits) for my D2X,

ideally the 1.4 if they would drop the price by �400. So, how much different is the DOF

between the 1.8 and 1.4 anyone? Guess the quality is roughly the same at this kind of

aperture -a little soft?

Thanks so much.

David

David, I think you are confusing two different things. Depth of field at an aperture tells you how far before and behind the focus point you get apparent sharpness. Quality tells you what sharpness you get at the focus point. There are formulae available that you can use to calculate this - check out:

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/dofdigital/index.html for the formula.

I know when the 85f1.8, at 1.8, is in focus on the pupil of the eye, the tip of the nose is a bit fuzzy (not always a bad thing). But open up an excel spreadshhet and do some calculations if you want an answer in mm.

REgards, Ross

>For the 85/1.4 AF version, it's uncharitable to call f/1.4 "a little soft." This is a fully usable aperture and what is in focus will be very sharp.

I just got mine a couple weeks ago. This is a fine lens and the focused area is distinctly sharp: this is *NOT* a Nikkor 50mm/1.4AFD. It's one of the more nicely crafted Nikkor lenses.