Canon 430EX vs sigma 500DG super

bartbies

Hello

I want to buy flashlamp, I am thinking abuot canon 430EX but I don't

sure that canon is better than sigma. I have seen a few post about 430

and sigma 500 but maybe somebody used both flashes. I have read about

both flashes and is seems that sigma has a more function.

Thanks for any answer

I recently purchased a 430ex. I have never used the Sigma, but looked at a lot of specifications and reviews before buying the Canon.

As I understand it the main differences are:

1. Sigma has functions approximately equivalent to the now discontinued 550ex (that is, more than the 430ex).

2. Sigma has more power.

3. Sigma can operate as a wireless master flash (slave only for 430ex)

4. 430ex is better built

5. 430ex autofocus assist covers all focus points (Sigma covers only centre point)

Both have fairly comprehensive manual controls.

Pick whichever one you like the look and feel of and you will be happy.

They both ofter FEL, 2nd curtain sync, HSS, manual power and manual and auto head zoom.

The 430EX has a better AF assist lamp (covers all 7 and 9 AF arrays) whereas the Sigmas only

covers the center area. The 430EX also adjusts the head zoom for 1.6x crop bodies whereas

the Sigmas does not. I think the 430EX is a bit smaller. The 430EX also has CF (not sureabout

the Sigma). Finally the Sigma may act as either a master or slave but the 430EX is slave only.

Sounds like a toss-up, so your choice. I picked the 430EX and am very happy with it.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I'v had the Sigma. It's a decent flash. It does not have the custom functions that Puppy Face refers to. The Canon flash is built better and easier to control. If you think you will need to use it as a wireless master in a Canon E-TTL wireless multi-flash system, the Sigma EF500 DG Super will do that but the 430EX will not. Both will work as wireless slaves. For most uses I would rather have the Canon.

I hve the Sigma 500 Super, Sigma ST, and the 430EX. They are all good flashes.

The EX has a far better build quality, and custom functions.

The Super has more power, and can act as a master.

The ST which I ordered on accident, has Mnaual High, Manual Low, & E-TTL II support. That's it.

They all expose comparably well in E-ttl mode. I'm not sure if I like the DG Super or the 430EX better. It's a toss up. The prices are very close.

If I could only choose one, it would be the 430EX as it is a brand match for the camera. If brand doesn't matter, and you don't mind a "Little" less build quality, the 500DG Super is an excellent flash.

Mike