I just got a new monitor - Gateway 21" widescreen. The resolution

is supposed to be set at 1680x1050. I have it plugged into my

laptop while I await my new computer and I can't get the right res

set. 1680x1050 is not an option on my computer's resolution

settings. I'm running XP. Does anyone know of a way to to add a

resolution setting in XP?

The video card in your laptop most likely doesn't support that specific resolution (1680x1050); a list of all the resolutions your video card supports can usually be found in the Display properties (Control Panel "Display" applet, go to "Settings" tab, click on "Advanced" button, and find "List All Modes" on the "Adaptors" tab.

See if a driver specific for your monitor is available, either on a CD with the monitor or on the vendor web site. May be your PC is recognizing the monitor as a generic plug & play or so, and is not aware of all the resolutions the monitor can support. Make sure you have the specific drivers installed, and the monitor is recognized with its brand and model. Or may be your graphic adapter just does not support that resolution.

Boy, the video ram on my 19 + COMPUTERS varies. The ancient ones have 1 meg of ram, and cannot support a high res. Many other ancinet ones are at 2megs, and support moderate resolutions. The several Number 9 AGP cards are 16megs, and support fairly high resolutions. The modern cards with 64, 128, and 256 megs support alot higher resolutions. Video ram does matter, it boxes in the max resolution and bit depth. This goes back before Photoshop existed, and is basic.

Kelly, I didn't really mean to imply that it's always irrelevant - just that it's irrelevant to <i>this</i> issue. The reason I say that is because Derrick pointed out that he's given the choice of selecting resolutions that are even higher than the one he's aiming for... which implies that a resolution somewhere in between would be OK as far as Video RAM goes... but is not offered for other reasons (ie, the driver and/or card doesn't support it).

What Kai Griffin said. Also, many modern videocards drivers will allow you to set ANY resolution you want up to the maximum they can display (in nvidia it's in the Display Properties/Advanced/Card Name/Screen Resolution and Refresh Rate.

With my 2 year old IBM laptop; the laptops resolution is 1024 x 768, It will drive an external monitor to 2048 x 1536. The "way" to set an external monitor is sometimes abit contrived on some laptops, and if done wrong wont have the full pallet of resolutions available.<BR><BR> Derrick should mention his specific name and model of laptop to see if there is just a cockpit issue. <BR><BR>The video ram boxes in the selection of resolution and bit depth. I mentioned this fact because it was brought up that it doesnt matter, which is wrong. I have seen XP placed on machines as slow as 200Mhz, and seen laptops with not much video ram. <BR><BR>Search google for your laptops name and model, plus external monitor to see if there any known issues or not obvious ways to activate the external ports full drivers. Just because the laptop has the full 64 megs and correct divers doesnt mean the external port doesnt have a cockpit error blocking it full pallet of resolutions. Does the monitor have a driver? Some settups crank down to a dummer mode unless the driver is loaded; or there will be a lessor set of calibration tools.