YOUR album choices

agaimages

Hello,

I was wondering what are YOUR album choices that you decided to

include in your packages? Do you have few album choices (between

classical and contemporary, less expensive as to more expensive

etc.)?

Please explain why the choice and what are the differences if any.

How about cover color choices? Did you choose them on basis of YOUR

preference (to fit your style) or what's popular/needed by clients?

Aga- We decided to just use one album company- Leather Craftsmen, but we offer 4 of their albums so people can choose between more traditional or more trendy. They are all pretty expensive, but I like working with them. Everything comes back perfect and on time...

We were offering Cypress as well, but no one has bought one so I think we're going to stop offering that one.

I heard about graphistudio, ordered the sample set and decided to start using them. Very cool albums, very high quality IMHO. Also fairly expensive.

But I realized that people like to have choices, so I started looking at cheaper, more traditional options.

I met with another local photographer, who kindly showed me his Florentina Albums by Albums, Inc. I purchased his sample album and put 24 8x10 prints in it, and bam - now I have two album choices. Both are good quality, one is $600 to start, one is around $1000 to start, and clients seem to be happy.

Renaissance Library Bound Albums for my inexpensive option....from Michel Company.

Michel Company because when you call - a real person answers the phone immediately - and they are well informed and helpful and the book gets to me in 3-5 business days.

Renaissance Library bound (Black with black mats and no gold or silver on the page edges or around the photo) because they have a nice Matte finish on the cover and the books are well made. Library bound because I don't like the quality of other types with hinges.

http://www.michelcompany.com

For upscale - I like Seldex which I get directly from Seldex in Australia. Easy to put together and the widest variety of album covers and mats that I've seen. You can order from Art Leather but I prefer the service and responsiveness of dealing with them directly.

http://www.seldex.com.au Nicole

Conrad... I too just started with Graphi and have their sample album.. I really like the quality.. how was your experiences with turn around times and do you, or do they, design the book ?

turnaround times are pretty quick IMHO. I remember submitting the files in late Decmeber (ie. December 26th, I think).

I received the design around Jan 13th, I submitted changes Jan 20th or so. Albums ended Feb 6 or so, which is approximately a 2.5 week turnaround from final approval. Pretty fast IMHO.

you can pay graphi to design the books, but it makes them cost around 50% more in my experience, and then another $100 if you want to make any changes.

for smaller books, having graphi design the books makes sense, but for larger books, it makes sense to keep the money and design them yourself.

I just got my first AsukaBook (studio sample) in last week and I LOVE it! The cover was a lot more glossy than I expected, but I still like it and it came with a nice frosted slipcover (which was an unexpected suprise). Just under a month turn around time.

I also offer Renaissance albums but haven't sold any. I'm not real passionate about them though, I prefer the more contemporary albums.

Renaissance is a lower end album.. I also prefer something more upscale... However - if budget is a question it is the best alternative in that price range and is far better than using Art Leather both for quality and service. So for those of you contemplating Art Leather - that is where I'd suggest Renaissance - Michel Company.

Aga,

We offer Capri Albums's Mosaic, Gallery, Modern Image and mini albums. These offer a decent range in price and a wide variety of sizes and styles. We decided to offer Capri Albums mainly for two reasons: they are durable and will last for years to come; and they've been one of the easier/faster companies that we've worked with. Capri has every color under the sun for covers. I prefer the Mosaic album. We added the Modern Image album simply because so many clients were asking if we offered it. What's funny is not a single client who has asked us about the Modern Image has purchased it -- they always go with the more traditional Mosaic.