What is and is not Leica RF Photography?

yeffe

Assuming there is such a thing for your thread- Anything that's on the fly, of the moment, immediate, and snappy, as in snapshot. Can be done with most cameras, but not as easily with something cumbersome, slow or awkward, which to me would be TLR or view camera.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p><em>Seems to me that you have dreamed up a checklist that doesn't even necessarily need a Leica, so are you really positing 'Leica photography' or are you just creating arbitrary rules that you seem to think covers Leica RF STYLE photography without the Leica? / Seems like wanking to me.</em></p><p>How on earth is it like wanking?</p><p>There's an extraordinary propensity hereabouts to use the word "wanking" in unlikely ways. It occurs to me that these users of the word might have forgotten the denotation of the word, or the sensations of wanking. To remember them, you simply lock the door, ready the tissues.   . Do I really have to give exhaustive directions?</p>

A different take:

If ...

1. You're out taking photos, then some of them almost certainly will qualify as "RF-style photography," and if taken with a Leica camera, lens, or other Leica-branded or Leica-compatible implement, then "Leica RF Photography."

but ...

2. If you are here posting on the Forum (as I am at the moment) then you're not at this time engaged in "Leica RF Photography."

therefore ...

3. Time to go back outside. Or if it's too cold, rainy, icy, hot, humid, etc. then inside is ok, but gotta be taking some photos, someplace, somehow.

4. After taking the photos, then develop, or scan, or download (as applicable) and post some here.

and Voila ...

5. You've engaged in Leica RF photography :)

O.K. call me a "nature nut". I never take my Leica out on the "street". In my part of the woods, that's a good way to get your Leica "ripped off", or "nicked" as they say on the other side of the pond. BTW I go for months, even years, without ever thinking about HCB! I do my own thing and care little what others have done. I'm most happy when I'm miles from the nearest human, shooting natural subjects. I consider all of my work to be "Leica photography". If I were to consider "street", I would pack any old "beater" with a working shutter and a passably sharp lens costing less than $100. ;<)) Best regards, Bill

Leica RF photography is also Nikon, Canon, and Contax RF photography. It is people photography, but is also of nature and even architecture--as in Brian Bowers' books. About the only thing it is not, is photography with very long lenses; macro work closer than 1:3 or so; and work that calls for very accurate framing. RF photography overlaps by degrees into SLR photography, as there is an area of commanality.

I'm sure it is, John. Thing is though, it's more than just snapping grab shots. If it were, Leica would not be making aspherical Summicrons, and we wouldn't be buying them. Leicas are for high technical quality, as well as for slice of life stuff taken on the run. In other words, Leica RF photography spans a wide range of work.

The Monk-shot was done with a Nikon F4 and some manual focus Tokina lens.

For the work I do I find that most photos look the same techinal-wise, since I always use the same film, developing chemicals and paper. I did an exhibition a while back of 16x20 prints and I did not see any difference between the shots taken with a Leica, a bessa, or my Nikon F2. The camera is less important than the photograph.

But I think that we can all agree that this next pic is an example of Leica Photography:<div>00FToO-28528184.jpg.8cea9195c14933903bf7434117734264.jpg</div>

<< ... Nikon gear in my Billingham bag ... ? >>

You're confused. That bag goes actually over your head, and protects the head from the scratching you're concerned about. Desirable models have eye-holes to permit rf photography. The eye-holes cost extra, but can be added on after-market by some of the technicians whose names you see on the Forum.

Stick with us, James. We might be able to help you.

The notion of "Leica Photography" is and idle pretention. In my files are countless images as well as slides made with my ancient Foth Derby. I doubt that anyone can tell the difference between those images and others made with any of my Leicas. Composing to a particular format is conforming to a Procrustean bed -- crop your format to the demands of the composition -- not to some arbitrary aspect ratio!

Aspect ratios are anything but arbitrary. Many graphic designers establish format ratios by

reference to musical intervals and natural logarithmic progressions (fibonacci, the golden

section). If it sounds as if this squelches creativity from the start, consider that those who

design space intuitively wind up close to tried and true spatial and linear relationships.

After a while, even they realize where they're headed and start looking at the numbers.

The math is in the world and in the brain at the same time.

Musical interval idea falls apart the moment you leave the western hemisphere. Presumably, photographers/graphic designers in south and south-east asia crop their artwork to a different rhythm. Maybe they do? Hmmm. I can't help thinking that this thread is what you get after someone has just finished reading Douglas Hofstadter's "Godels, Bach, Escher - The Eternal Golden Braid" (a good read, by the way), and is now thinking they can add "Barnack" or some other Leica-toting personality's name to that list. I don't think so.<p>As for "RF Style" (if that's what this thread is about) - there isn't one. A <i>photographer</i> has style (or maybe lacks it), but a camera does not (unless you count chrome & vulcanite as style). Anyway, if a camera has a distinctive style that manifests itself in the celluloid, then it is probably flawed from the factory - I sure wouldn't want a camera's built-in style to get in the way of using the damn thing. Not unless it's a pinhole, Holga or something funky like that.

"Musical interval idea falls apart the moment you leave the western hemisphere. "

I'm not too sure about that. Musical scales differ widely across cultures, of course. But

logarithmic progression is inherent in nature. I can't say what part fibonacci plays in other

than twelve-tone musical schemes, but photo-mechanical reproduction is a western

development.

The tones/scales of South Asian (Indian) music (from which derive many musical systems) can't be described as logarithmic, and you can forget about fibanocci (unless Fibanocci was the name of the cat you hear being strangled in some Bollywood hits). It would be way off topic here to delve into the devilishly complex details, but <a href="http://cnx.org/content/m12502/latest/"><b>here's a good description</b></a>. Anyway, as fascinating as the possible relationship between a culture's musical scale tradition and the preference for a particular image aspect ratio might be, I think it's sailing into territory best reserved for space cadets to pursue!

"...it's sailing into territory best reserved for space cadets to pursue!

I think the art that impresses me the most of all is dance. Some theater and film, but

mostly dance. Dance companies are always hungry, always relying on the most strenuous

daily efforts of it's acolytes toward a very uncertain future. An incredibly compressed and

timebound scaffolding that begs for bold exception by a gifted performer.

Anyway, that feeling is what I'm after in my stills work. Believe me: hang around the DMV

waiting room for an hour and you'll see what I mean.