which tripod? Bogen 3021/SLIK CF813 II/Gitzo G1027

tyler_sky

I am looking at buying my first good tripod and need a little advice.

I am thinking about buying the Bogen 3021 tripod but am not sure if it

will do the trick. Over the summer I plan on buying either a 70-300mm

lens or the 100-400mm lens and i was wondering if this tripod is

stable enough with that type of telephoto. I was also looking at the

Slik CF813

and the gitzo G1027; these are both a little more than i planed on

spending but i might go for it if you don't think the boegen is best

suited for 300-400mm zoom.

The bogen 3021 is a good tripod for 35mm lenses up to and including 300mm f 4.0. The ratings say more, but you have to discount that. Spend the extra money and get a gitzo tripod. I do not see the gitzo 1027 listed in my catalogue. If you meant to say the G 1057, I do not think it is not robust enough. The Gitzo I would consider for your application is a G 1257 or G 1258, both series 2 tripods from Gitzo. If macro work is in your future, look at the Gitzo Explorer line, G 2220. Joe Smith

Two things. First it depends on how you're going to use it. Use on largely level ground or on sidewalks/roadsides or in generally undemanding conditions will mean you'll get more out of a tripod than if you expect it to hold your gear solid on an irregular 30 degree slope in a howling gale, or in a fast flowing stream. It will also depend on which zoom you buy since fast or "Pro" lenses are heavier.

Second, just because a tripod costs more doesn't mean it can take a heavier load. It might mean that its made better or made from a lighter material. Both the alternatives to the Manfrotto you mention are rated as holding a lesser weight; the Gitzo substantially so. I'm sure Slik and Gitzo make tripods that will hold more than a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021/055 but these aren't it. I'd be inclined to do some work on their web-sites and search on here to find the right ones to consider if you conclude that the 3021 isn't going to work.

The main thing I was worried about was the vibration. I have tested the Bogen 3021 and found that it carried vibration unlike the carbon fiber tripods. When i tested it i only had a 28-80mm lens so i was wondering if the vibrations would be a problem with a longer zoom lens.

The Slik carbon fiber tripods aren't entirely comparable to the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021. The closest Slik is the 700DX, which is a very good legset with a pretty good tilt/pan head that can be replaced with any other standard head if you prefer.

Even a compact, lightweight tripod like the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 or Slik 300DX can be used with fairly heavy, long lenses if the leg sections aren't fully extended. Granted, you'll have to kneel, squat or sit to use the tripod in a lowered position, but it's stable and comfortable as long as nothing is hindering your view.

Even with the posts after mine, I still am sticking with my earlier advice. I have used my Bogen 3021 for many years and am well aware of its good points and limitations. I used to use it with a 400mm f 3.5 and a 500mm f 4.0 , bottom legs never extended, and sometimes no legs extended, and now use a Gitzo 1325 when I mount these lenses to a tripod. Joe Smith