Out of Focus Issues with D2X

juan monino

When i use my D2x with sb800 flash in a dark environment (discoteques)

I have the problem that it is almost imposible to focus (using Auto

focus) or manually (since i only see shadows in the dark) What do you

guys recomend me to do? it is any configuration in the camera and/or

the flash i should use? My old D100 has a light incorporated for that

effect, not the D2X. Please HELP!

Even without the SB800 attached, I can lock focus(auto) in near pitch dark environments as long as there is a little contrast in the scene. You shouldn't have any problems focusing with that camera in a nightclub. As the above poster suggested, check and make sure your SB800 AF-assist is set to "On".

The SB-800 has a little button that activates a disco-strobe effect. This can be used to assist with manual focus confirmation in the dark. It's a bit awkward but can be done.

I'm not familiar with the D2X but I can set my D2H to activate the disco strobe using the DOF preview button on the camera body. This is more convenient for use with manual focusing.

However the built in AF assist lamp on the SB-800 will project a red crosshatched pattern to assist with autofocusing. The problem is that if the camera/flash combo is fooled into thinking there's "too much" light, the AF assist lamp won't kick in. This can occasionally occur in dark spaces if there's a single bright light source directly in view of the camera. Ideally there should be an option to always activate the AF assist lamp on demand, not just when the camera/flash thinks you need it.

Finally, try a different AF setting on the camera. In really dim lighting I find using the simple single focus sensor works best. I lock on the center sensor, use the AF-ON button to attain focus, then recompose and shoot. At least with the D2H if I can see the subject, the camera can lock focus. It needs only a 2/3 EV or less difference to provide enough contrast, meaning that even a textured white wall can provide enough contrast to lock focus.

BTW, there's another nifty trick you can do with the D2H and, possibly, other Nikon dSLRs.

The camera can be set up to activate the SB-800 disco strobe light effect via the DOF preview. Then the multi-purpose button beneath the DOF button can be set up to temporarily disable the flash. So you can activate the flash for focusing, then quickly disable the flash if you prefer to use available light, all without moving the camera away from your eye.

Well, okay, it's still a bit of a hassle and it won't hurt to have six fingers on your right hand. And it helps if you have hands like an orangutan.