M2aD Project, It fits

Getting the wiring runs worked out I have put my spare PCB in the back

of the M2. The white part (centre right bottom) is the tallest

component and is flush with the door rails, this camera will be

thinner than an M6 at the film speed dial. I was thinking of an Imac

style transparent back, but that would be too silly.<div>00FWHd-28598884.jpg.8c855e70ad1772a3f61c5988b6d3096c.jpg</div>

This is amazing. I am really itchy to grab an old camera and make it digital. Especially building a dedicated b/w camera. As you know, it is a huge difference between a true monochrome sensor and a converted image froma coor sensor. Until now only kodak attempted such a camera, and apparently the corporations see no market for this. But if this approaches the DIY realm, tis would be one of my first projects.

Frederick, lighten up! Think of the possibilities! Make them in gold with Cameraleather's red lizard skin, a matching strap, and every teenager in the mall will want one! Hundreds of thousands of kids all over the planet chatting constantly on their Leicas, emailing pictures to one another that can be blown up to 40x60 inches with razor sharp detail. This could be Leica's salvation. Girls would spend a fortune on matching purses and shoes. Paul's 5 million dollar offer will seem like small change!

Huw: How much of the original workings of the M2 will remain after you have completed the project? Shutter and advance? Rangefinder (yes). Flash sync for low light (no). What is the projected weight comparison between your version and original (heavier with batteries)? Thank-you for keeping us abreast of your project. This is quite interesting to see taking shape.

Mark J.

Sweet.

Here I was thinking you were going to need to gut a Leicavit to carry the batteries and extra circuitry. I guess you still can make a Leicavit 'booster' pack and stuff it with lithium polymer cells.

I like the idea of the iMac style back but it wouldn't work with this camera. You are right in rejecting it. Maybe an iPod style polished steel back? ;-) JK

looking back through Huw's posting history, I saw on one of the posts about the meter in the screwmount Leica :

Jamie J. , jun 06, 2004; 12:14 p.m.

Maybe next you could build an M-Digital?

Well, guess we got to this point.

Thumbs up again on the project, Huw!