Poll results

Results to the recent "would you buy a digital M" poll are as follows:

Yes. = 20

No. = 68 (of which "hell no!" etc. = 8)

Maybe. = 10 (including the "if I could afford it"s)

If it was full frame. = 7

Waiting for Huw = 1 (probably 2 as Huw didn't vote)

I had to use a little licence interpreting some of the results.

Anyway there's $100,000 in sales for Leica here alone ($135,000) if

they can make it full frame.

Thanks for voting.

didn't notice the poll, anyhow, I believe most users of Leica are not regular members of this

or any other forum and many of them will buy one and can afford it. I am definitely going to

get one as soon as it comes out. presentily I am using the RD-1 almost exclusively (going to

get a second body) and leave home my Leica M7/M6ttl/M6ttl Kodak slr/c full frame and

canon 20D. after thinking of getting the canon's 5d I decided that I will use much more a

second RD-1.

A digital M would not have quite the charm of a good old film- M. I would not be interested. Leica & film evoke emotion that no digital equipment would. This is getting a bit psychological, I can't really put it into words but I guess many of you know what I mean.

Michael - If only!

Really though, I think the fact that 20%(ish) of people responding would be prepared to spend an enormous amount of cash on a digital M should be pretty encouraging news for Leica. If more affordable and full frame the figure almost doubles but I doubt that a full frame M at $2,500 is very likely any time soon (apart from the one taking shape in Huw's kitchen).

Didn't see the poll either.....

one thing however which history keeps telling us again and again is that Leica is a "mechanical" camera company, whenever it comes down to anything elctronical it breaks and needs service, it started with the R4 and further, thr R8 early serial numbers were complete misfits, the M7 series .... the POS leicas, all the same .... elctrical flaws.

Now I stick to my Mechanical M which is great, and for digital Olympus or panasonic will do nicely ....

My personal feeling is that Leica will have trouble finding suffient capacity to meet the pent-

up demand for the digital M - at least in the short to medium term. This will give them a

certain amount of latitude when it comes to pricing and I will not be surprised to see the

price higher than the much touted 5000 USD. Here in the UK, my prediction for the retail

price (including sales tax) is 3,995 GBP. I really don't see it any lower.

These results don't look all that promising, do they? I see the demand as 19%, or 20/106. Okay, if they make a full frame model you get 25%. If one assumes that this forum is a reasonably representative sample of the population of leica enthusiasts, we're saying that only 19 to 25 pct of Leica enthusiasts will go for a digital M. I have no idea of what the total population size is, but it's scary because this is far from a ringing endorsement of the product.