Which canon Dslrs handle 800 iso noise best?

matthewkane

I'm curious... I find that I would like to shoot at 800 more often but never do because of

the intensity of noise from the 10d. I'm saying within reason, say printed to 8x10.

Is the 5D that much better than the 10 or 20D with this? I don't think I could afford a

camera much more than the 5D but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks

I haven't compared it to a 20D but the 5D is impressive at ASA 800.

Reports on the net that compare 5D noise to 20D noise are mixed. Some say it is a big difference, some say it is not. I don't know and I don't care much, because the 5D is a better camera.

I can send you a shot at ASA 800 made with my 5D if you want to.

Why not use a noise plugin? It takes a few seconds and they work wonders for such small

print sizes. Nevertheless, ISO 800 on the 10D looks great to me on a 8 x 12 or 8 x 10. I

normally view prints from 12-14 inches and can't see much noise. It only looks bad at

100% pixel size on a monitor.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The only DSLR I've owned is my 20D, so I can't compare it to your 10D or to other DSLRs from personal experience. When researching it, I do recall seeing tests which showed that it had less higher-ISO noise than the 10D. But it's a matter of degrees; some DSLRs have less noise than others at 800, but all have some noise, and you could spend a fair bit of money upgrading to a newer DSLR and it may not buy you a substantial improvement in higher-ISO noise.</p>

<P>When I upgraded from the 10D to the 20D I made a few comparison tests at different ISOs -- none of which I kept.

<P>My basic conclusion was that ISO 800 on the 20D was almost, but not quite, as good as ISO 400 on the 10D.

<P>Based on the reports I've read on the web about the 5D vs. 20D comparison, I'd guess that the 5D at ISO 800 is probably as good, or maybe a little better, than ISO 400 on the 10D.

<P>Robert

As the acceptance for noise is a very personal thing I can only speak for my self, but I recently uppgraded from 10D to 5D. My experience is that while I never used anything higher than ISO 800 on my 10D, and then only as a last resort in low light situations, I now use ISO 1600 without any restrictions. I feel that ISO 1600 on 5D is far better than ISO 800 on 10D used to be. For me even ISO 3200 on 5D is usable, with the same restrictions I used to have for ISO 800 on 10D.

I can not really say anything about the difference between 20D and 5D, as I have limited experience with the former. But I have the feeling that 5D is slightly better than 20D, but the difference is nowhere near the difference between 10D and either of 20D or 5D.

/Daniel

I shoot at any ISO the 20D is capable of and have good results. A bit of Noise Ninja will get rid of just about any noise.<b> <a href="http://www.pbase.com/alibaby/image/56505812&exif=Y">Here</a></b> is a full sized shot taken at ISO 800. This is straight from ACR in CS2 and has not had any other processing done to it other than conversion to sRGB and jpeg.<P>As long as you nail the exposure (under exposure is death) the 20D works well at high ISO. I read the 5D does even better.