Complete solution lens

sacbee

Hello all,

I bought my 20D with an 18-55 and later bought 75-300 USMIII.

After a couple of mountain treks I'm finding it really hard to carry

the whole kit along with backpack. Could someone suggest me a decent

lens which serves the Macro - Midrange - Telephoto purposes and quite

light enough. My budget would be around $500 - 600. I'm not specfic

about canon, III party lens would do. I usually do landscape, nature,

portrait and little bit of macro or rather I would say I do traveller

photography.

Thanks in advance,

Sachin

What focal range are you looking for? Midrange is quite vague - does it mean something like 50-200mm? There should be a few lenses in that range around - but none of very good quality.

If weight is your issue then you are probably better off with a high-end compact digicam than with an SLR - those are small, have macro, midrange and telephoto, some even have stabilization.

Your already pretty much at the lightness limits with what you have.

Both lenses are fairly light. Maybe go with 1 lens like the Canon 28-200 USM. But if your doing that much hiking a prosumer digicam like the Canon A620 would do nicely and weigh very little. Amazing battery life also, macro down to 1cm.

Everyone would want the perfect lens... an 18-200mm 2.8 Is that costs less than 500$ and has no distortion, no vignetting and perfect sharpness and contrast.... and is less than a pound in weight.

Sounds like a Dslr is not for you (when you are trekking) - as other mentionned: get a Point and Shoot for this purpuse!

Let me second the recommendation for the A620 (you can also use a solar battery charger with it). The Nikon 8400 is a good choice if you need something wider. If you need a long telephoto, you could get on eof the ultrazooms. Even two small compact bodies are going to be less weight than a DSLR system.

The quality of any of those high-end compacts is going to be at least as good as what you have. A DSLR makes sense if you need high ISO, shallow DOF, or ultra-wide.

It is probably too late to consider this, but my choice was to save camera weight by getting

a 350D rather than a 20D. This saves about a half pound. (For non-backpacking readers,

yes, a half pound is significant.)

I carry the 17-40 f4 (which is use most of the time), the 50mm f1.4, and the 70-200 f4. By

photography standards, this kit is still relatively light for the range and quality it provides.

Of course, by the time I add a tripod, filters, and extra batteries I'm getting up towards the

10 pound range.

I've thought that the combination of the 17-40 and the 24-105 f5 IS might be a pretty

good combination as well.

Dan

I have 20D with EF17-40 lens.

In the same point of view (like Sachin's), I am wondering for (EF50 + EF70-200) OR EF24-105 to add on top of my 17-40.

I am not much in macro, only potrait and landscape. The EF17-40 has lots of overlapping with 24-105 on the low end, but again, I am keen on carrying less number of lenses.

Any suggestion

I'm with Andrew on this. A do it all lens is a compromise at everything. However, that doesn't mean they are bad lenses, they are just not really good lenses. FWIW, the 18-xxx super zooms seem to provide better quality with digital cameras than the 28-xxx lenses do with film cameras. The Tamron 18-200 is said to be as good as the Canon 18-55 in that range. Not so great on the long end though.

Personally. I think I would settle for a 18-125 rather than the 18-200 type. But you really aren't going to save a lot of space or weight over what you have now. A little, but not much. I take a Panasonic FZ3 when I'm traveling light. A 35-420mm that fits in your pocket.